Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Plasmic Steve
Forum Junior

Logic and GarageBand - merging tracks?
Monday, November 19 2007 @ 08:46 AM CST

Hello everyone. I'm working on a joint recording project with a friend who's using GarageBand (to record bass, guitars, and vocals) and I'm adding full live acoustic drum tracks to his recordings in my studio, on Logic Pro 7.

I have a template set up for my drum presets (channel assignments, pan, levels, effects and bus), so I don't have to set those up every time.

I'm able to open his GB files in Logic - but I can't figure out how to copy and paste my blank drum tracks into his Logic-converted files - or how to bring his tracks (with levels, automation, effects) into Logic.

I was able to export his tracks from Logic, in one big batch, and pull them into my drum template-created Logic file - but I lost all the automation, effect and pan information.

Is this possible, and if so, what's the best way to accomplish the merging? Thanks in advance for your help.
Bubowski
Forum Full Member

Re:Logic and GarageBand - merging tracks?
Monday, November 19 2007 @ 04:07 PM CST

Not sure if this will help but...can you just add the tracks you need to the GB track that you imported into LP7, then copy the channel strip settings from your template for each track and paste into the proper track in the new song?

Graham Metcalfe - Information Architecture and Art Direction
Please visit my portfolio site at www.ghmetcalfe.com.
Plasmic Steve
Forum Junior

Tuesday, November 20 2007 @ 08:14 AM CST

I guess I don't know if that's possible - I wouldn't mind creating the six new drum tracks in the Logic-imported GB, and I wouldn't mind setting up the inputs - but I've never tried to copy/paste the channel strip settings - effects, bussing - is that what you mean? That wouldn't be too bad - I'll give it a shot, if it's possible. Thanks - but if anyone knows a way to automatically copy complete tracks (not audio, but pan/bus/effects) from one Logic file to another - please let me know.
Bubowski
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, November 20 2007 @ 09:58 AM CST

In LP7, if you click and hold the "inserts" menu in the channel strip, you can select "Copy Channel Strip Setting" Then you can target the track you want and select "Paste Channel Strip Setting" and all the plugins and their settings will be pasted into the new track.

With Logic 8, same deal, but the menu is named "Settings"

Graham Metcalfe - Information Architecture and Art Direction
Please visit my portfolio site at www.ghmetcalfe.com.

Plasmic Steve
Forum Junior

Tuesday, November 20 2007 @ 02:59 PM CST

Cool - I haven't done that before. Thanks for the info - I'll give it a shot!