Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
MacFerret
Forum Junior

OK I admit it -
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 11:35 AM CST

I have been playing around with Band In A Box. Trouble is, I found an acoustic bass patch that I like, and when I try to recreate it in GB, there is no equivalent.

It might even be the standard MIDI patch #33, which should be simple to generate. Can I get around the menu options in GB to specify a MIDI bank/patch for a region?

Or has anyone any ideas about how to coax an audio mixdown from BiaB?
ValleyPastor
Forum Full Member

Re:OK I admit it -
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:19 PM CST

BIAB uses QuickTime musical instruments by default. I think QuickTime Pro would do the trick. 1) In BIAB mute all parts but the one you want to recreate in GB. 2) "Save as MIDI file" in BIAB. 3) Open the MIDI file in QT Pro. 4) Export as audio file. 5) Drag that audio file into GB.

As an alternative, get Audio Hijack Pro, which allows you to record any sound playing in your Mac. Play the part in BIAB and record with Audio Hijack Pro. Import into GB
ValleyPastor
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:22 PM CST

By the way, BIAB is a wonderful tool for making background tracks to play over in GB. Everything I've done uses it, and I've gotten what I consider very good results.

My songs "Alegre" "Chesed" "Eagles' dance" Divine Secrets" "Cherubim at Sunset" "Sanctuary" were written completely in and with BIAB, then exported as MIDI files and imported into GB for final instruments and mix.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:24 PM CST

or use WireTap.

GarageBand will read General MIDI tracks - just drag it into the window - but the instrument it uses will sound different (usually better IMO) - don't know if BIAB exports MIDI tracks...
ValleyPastor
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:31 PM CST

"Wiretap" is the app I actually wanted to mention, though Audio Hijack should work also.

Yes, BIAB exports Standard MIDI files.
apb
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:37 PM CST

Different approach:

I thought in GB (at least v3 as I have) you can just create a
new soft instrument track, open the Details panel .. then choose "DLSMusicDevice" as 'Generator' .. if you open the manual settings
(click the pencil) .. you'll see the Soundbank is then "Quicktime music synthesizer" .. if it really is some standard GM midi sound/voice...
you might find it that way.

MacFerret
Forum Junior

Thursday, November 22 2007 @ 06:52 AM CST

Thanks. I am new to the Mac and thought I'd try the simplest-looking solution, so I downloaded WireTap. In 30 seconds it was installed and working, and in minutes I had solved my problem. Everything just works on the Mac compared with where I came from (the Dark Side).

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll try some more of what you suggested later.

Ferret