Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
spitlogic
Forum Full Member

Re:Garageband - Midi latency?
Wednesday, November 28 2007 @ 03:15 PM CST

Isn't there a feature where you can allow the GB program to use most of its processing power to midi or live tracks (something like that)?

Rap is something you do, Hiphop is something you live.
rover101
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 28 2007 @ 08:11 PM CST

Quote by: spitlogic
Isn't there a feature where you can allow the GB program to use most of its processing power to midi or live tracks (something like that)?

in preferences - audio/midi. may well make a difference. How fast is the G4 running?

Noli bastardi carborundum

Wednesday, November 28 2007 @ 08:29 PM CST

is there latency when you actually record, or only when the instrument is on, and the speaker on.
i noticed that when the track itself is active and i am not recording, there tends to be a lag. but, when i am actually recording, that goes away.
also, i noticed it more in older versions of GB (like 1 & 2) but, with 4, it's minor at worst.
so, definitely upgrade! GB alone is worth the $$$, but the other bundled apps in iLife make the investment all the more worth while.
also, get more RAM for sure. I recommend AT LEAST 1 GB. When i first started using GB, I only had 512MB. I quit using at all. the software puts a HUGE burden on the processor and memory. once i got up to 1GB (i have 2GB, now with no issues at all), all was good.
also, a trick i learned from Allen Dean... when you get a track recorded and are happy with it, lock the track. that lightens the burden quite a bit.
hope those tidbits help.
-Jason

vegnet
Forum Newbie

Wednesday, November 28 2007 @ 10:13 PM CST

I had a latency problem with my old Mac, a G4. No problems with the dual core Intel chip, UNLESS i have other applications open while I run GB.

Good Luck bro!