Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
UnicornInTrouble
Forum Newbie

Electronic Farting Noise?
Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 05:21 PM CST

Help! I'm going crazy!
I started using garageband a couple of months ago, mainly just to record me singing and playing acoustic guitar. I'm using the internal microphone. For some reason, when I play back what I have recorded there is this electronic blip/burp noise every few seconds. It doesn't seem to matter what I record, what filters I do or don't use, etc. It doesn't happen in Sound Studio or any other applications. I even got a new computer and tried on that - same thing. I thought it must be something obvious (and I'm sure it still is) but I've looked through lots of help pages and I don't see anything. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. I want to record tonight, but I refuse to try and ignore that stupid sound. Also, is there any way to get rid of it on the things I've already recorded? Glad I found this site. Once I CAN record something without that noise, I'll be sure and come talk more about the good times! Thanks!
Axgrinder
Forum Full Member

Re:Electronic Farting Noise?
Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 06:27 PM CST

If your serious about the quality of your results, I would suggest a decent Mic and interface!
I use a M-AUDIO Fast Track USB that is inexpensive and works flawlessly. You may just want to pick you up a USB Mic such as a "snowball" I don't own one myself, but I understand that they work quite well and all you need to do is plug it in and go, that is if your running a Mac! If running Windows, you may need to install a driver. Built ins weren't really designed for recording music, but rather voice. There are loads of options available. Check out ZZsounds.
I hope I was of some help?

Ax

*Soon to be updated* {I'm here for the "M-U-S-I-C" not the "F-O-R-U-M"} With all this great music, how does one score'um? funny animated gif
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 08:38 PM CST

I assume (without hearing it) that it is a fast "stuttering" noise, which could mean that the computer is not keeping up with the recording... so, the next question is, what kind of hardware do you have? Specifically, can you tell us what the model of computer is, and what the CPU speed is, but most importantly, how much RAM you have (1 GB minimum is really recommended). Also, what version of GarageBand and what version of OS? It could be any number of things, including weird bugs in a particular version of QuickTime (possibly do a software update and see if it gets fixed.)

Hope these are helpful FREE things to try, then you can do Axgrinder's expensive hardware upgrades :-) But I'm pretty sure that a new mic and aiudio interface won't fix the audio stuttering/farting sound, but I don't know beans, I'm just a dragon :-)

Look forward to hearing your (less-flatulent) tunes here soon!
ttfn,
Drakonis
Axgrinder
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 09:20 PM CST

Quote by: drakonis
I assume (without hearing it) that it is a fast "stuttering" noise, which could mean that the computer is not keeping up with the recording... so, the next question is, what kind of hardware do you have? Specifically, can you tell us what the model of computer is, and what the CPU speed is, but most importantly, how much RAM you have (1 GB minimum is really recommended). Also, what version of GarageBand and what version of OS? It could be any number of things, including weird bugs in a particular version of QuickTime (possibly do a software update and see if it gets fixed.)

Hope these are helpful FREE things to try, then you can do Axgrinder's expensive hardware upgrades :-) But I'm pretty sure that a new mic and aiudio interface won't fix the audio stuttering/farting sound, but I don't know beans, I'm just a dragon :-)

Look forward to hearing your (less-flatulent) tunes here soon!
ttfn,
Drakonis

I hear dragons are extremely smart! No.... your right, but you can only expect so much from a built-in. lack of power is probably his dilemma, I concur. and if it's a windows machine, well...... Thanks for jumping in bro!

*Soon to be updated* {I'm here for the "M-U-S-I-C" not the "F-O-R-U-M"} With all this great music, how does one score'um? funny animated gif
announcer
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 09:33 PM CST

Quote by: UnicornInTrouble
Help! I'm going crazy!
I started using garageband a couple of months ago, mainly just to record me singing and playing acoustic guitar. I'm using the internal microphone. For some reason, when I play back what I have recorded there is this electronic blip/burp noise every few seconds. It doesn't seem to matter what I record, what filters I do or don't use, etc. It doesn't happen in Sound Studio or any other applications. I even got a new computer and tried on that - same thing. I thought it must be something obvious (and I'm sure it still is) but I've looked through lots of help pages and I don't see anything. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. I want to record tonight, but I refuse to try and ignore that stupid sound. Also, is there any way to get rid of it on the things I've already recorded? Glad I found this site. Once I CAN record something without that noise, I'll be sure and come talk more about the good times! Thanks!

Why not send us a link to a sample. It would be easy enough to send a sample to yousendit.com and copy the link here so that we could get a listen to the problem. A lot easier to diagnose the problem when we can hear it. you could also send it up as an MP3 to your page here on MJ and then delete it later.

Hope this helps. We have a lot of brain power here on this site but one listen is worth a thousand words.

Smile
announcer
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 09:35 PM CST

are you sure it is not the metronome? just asking.
rover101
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 10:28 PM CST

Quote by: announcer

Doesn't sound like it, but worth checking.

Do you have any plug-ins working in demo mode?

Sounds like maybe a clock conflict; Do you have a built in camera in that/those machine(s); if there's a way, try turning that off (most of the time my iSight camera is unplugged 'cos of something similar). Audio-midi setup and GB preferences.

Cheers, Shaky

Noli bastardi carborundum

drakonis
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 11:35 PM CST

Quote by: announcer

Only if they're in the city... that's where metro-gnomes are most common. Out in the countryside weird noises are usually caused by a gremlin or banshee.

Seriously though, whether Mac or PC, a little more information on CPU speed, RAM, and what program you are recording with would help, along with "Announcer"s most excellent suggestion of posting an example somewhere, for us to listen to, somebody might recognize the sound (spotted towhee, perhaps?)

ttfn,
Drakonis