Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
tonks
Forum Junior

Annoying clicky sound
Monday, December 03 2007 @ 08:27 AM CST

Hi,
I have recently upgraded to GB 3 with my new imac. I am using a Tascam US122 to record guitars as I have always done. But now I am experiencing a really annoying clicky/distortion sound whenever the volume hits the red. I can only assume this is a new feature to stop you from clipping. The problem is its really hard to control, especially if I have more than 2 tracks as I have to have everything really quite just to stop it from happening. ALso all my old tracks I have recorded now have this problem when I open them. Basically its impossible to do anything at the moment. Does anyone else have this problem? Am i doing something wrong... perhaps my sound card isnt properly compatible with my new intel imac?
Thanks!
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Re:Annoying clicky sound
Monday, December 03 2007 @ 09:42 AM CST

Could be a driver problem. Go to the Tascam website and under the Legacy Products US-122 Resources section, make sure you have the updated Intel Mac driver. here's a link
tonks
Forum Junior

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 10:01 AM CST

I actually already downloaded the driver. To be honest Im having countless problems since I upgraded to intel. The Tascam constantly disconnects itself and its really hard to get my mac to find the drivers once this happens. To be honest theres to many bugs. Im gonna have tobuy something else!..
Thanks
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 11:11 AM CST

It could be drivers... or bugs in other software (have you gotten the latest updates to MacOSX, QuickTime, GarageBand?)

But it could also be other things... for example, there could be a bad sector on your hard disk, or a bad RAM chip (if you are getting frequent lockups/crashes.) You may want to think about when this started happening and what you did about that time. Possibly running Disk Utility and repairing your disk might start helping, though reformatting and re-installing fresh might be the best hope if it is a disk problem (but that's a real pain, especially if you have lots of stuff on the computer to back up, copy back, add in your registration/serial #s again, etc.)

Just suggesting other things that might be wrong... one thing you may want to do is record/post a short song chunk that has a bunch of this clicking in it, so we can hear the problem, and post a link to it from here? Somebody might go "Oh, THAT!" and be able to help.

ttfn,
Drakonis
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 11:39 AM CST

I have a Tascam US-122 running just fine with my Intel iMac and also my Intel Macbook, no errors at all. Works like a charm. Which is why I suggested the most obvious thing, the driver update. The next thing to try is what Drak suggests, run Disk Utility and repair permissions. Rebuild your preferences by deleting the Garageband .cs and .plist files. But if you like, go ahead and buy something new. I've heard good things about the Presonus firewire interfaces. Good luck.

rover101
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 05:12 PM CST

Could also be digital clocks clashing, particularly if you have a webcam.

Noli bastardi carborundum