Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
guitapick
Forum Full Member

Re:Out of Control
Wednesday, June 10 2009 @ 09:52 PM CDT

When I'm writing, it makes all the sense in the world. When I'm done, I usually can't remember how...

I figure that's the way it should be...

I live between the notes

CDBaby "Above the Surface" iTunes Store

MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, June 01 2015 @ 08:43 PM CDT

So, where did this “dead-thread” surface from?   Oh, well. . .

As a high-school(!) music theory teacher once told me:   “always remember, ‘music theory’ is not ‘music.’   Music is:   a purely-human, purely-emotional, happening.”

In other words:   “all of theory and description, serves merely to describe, and ex post facto(!), ‘what the-hell actually just happened between two human beings.’”

Yes, there is a truly-astonishing amount of grunt-mathematical theory that can be used to describe music.   But “those two human lovers,” to both of whom your song “just magically connected,” know nothing of such mathematical theories.   And, may we never invite them to.

MotherofMeursault
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, June 02 2015 @ 08:18 PM CDT

Quote by: MikeRobinson
So, where did this “dead-thread” surface from?  

Usually, it's due to a member who previously contributed to the thread editing one of his previous contributions. A simple thing like adding a comma, or changing a word doesn't change the initial posting date/time, but does bring the thread to the top of the list, so the thread seems to miraculously reappear.
My guess is that it's an attempt to invigorate the membership by reintroducing a topic that was interesting or controversial in an attempt to drive the participation numbers upwards.

Why increased participation matters to a gated community is the more interesting question in my book.

Les_Kloo
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 03 2015 @ 08:40 PM CDT

In other words:   “all of theory and description, serves merely to describe, and ex post facto(!), ‘what the-hell actually just happened between two human beings.’”

Eh, not necessarily. It's not a useless exercise to structure a song a priori, according to some "rules," whether they be rhythmic or harmonic, then see what happens. Music is a pretty broad endeavor, and does not always involve singing about love and breakups. Sometimes it's about running and trying to hide while living in a mind-control surveillance state. Sometimes it's about a drummer playing in 17/8 while the rest of the band cruises along in 4/4, and then the listener taking on the challenge of trying to "figure it out." You could still sing a love song over the top, if that would help.

Yes, there is a truly-astonishing amount of grunt-mathematical theory that can be used to describe music.   But “those two human lovers,” to both of whom your song “just magically connected,” know nothing of such mathematical theories.   And, may we never invite them to.

"Grunt"? Well, sometimes it's fun to "understand" a piece. Then you can share that tidbit of knowledge with your lover and she (or he) will be able to feel some sense of accomplishment when she (or he) gets the idea that this song sounds the way it does because the tonic chord is major but with a dropped seventh and the whole step descent to a minor chord gives it that distinct flavor that you never hear on the pop stations. It can actually be satisfying to identify patterns. But then, maybe I'm just weird that way….

“Each time I've learned a little bit more about the inner structures of music, the math of it and the shape of it, my joy in it has increased.”

-- recording artist Peter Mulvey, in the Nov. 2000 Performing Songwriter

But, yeah, you have a point, but in a restrictive kind of way.

My music is much better than it sounds.