Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Brother's Fairytale LP 1971
Wednesday, September 27 2017 @ 05:49 PM CDT

https://youtu.be/f-pQwYNYBEE

This is a mixing board dub that was long rumored among collectors to be extent, finally, it is available on you tube. I assume it will disappear quickly. Hopefully G. A.'s spirit will rest easy.
This is what it sounded like, live. The level of musicianship is staggering.
Madge's live record sold less than 4,000 copies in it's debut week.
This nearly fifty year old tape got more listens than her record in that week...
Give the link a try...

Daug
bud
Forum Full Member

Re:Brother's Fairytale LP 1971
Thursday, September 28 2017 @ 10:42 PM CDT

That was cool Daug. Tha Allman Brothers were awesome at that time.

You might also dig this latest release from the Dead vault. 1989 was a good run for them. The last, if you ask me. For my wife and I it culminated in the mardi gras shows in Oakland.
Only two tracks here from RFK Stadium that summer - but both worth a close listen.

http://www.dead.net/store/1980s/rfk-stadium-1989-box?cmpid=dn/2017September28/FirstListenRfk7-ListenInHereFor-main-more-1&eml=2017September28/4126082/6131962&etsubid=69323497

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Friday, September 29 2017 @ 10:24 AM CDT

Quote by: bud
That was cool Daug. Tha Allman Brothers were awesome at that time.

You might also dig this latest release from the Dead vault. 1989 was a good run for them. The last, if you ask me. For my wife and I it culminated in the mardi gras shows in Oakland.
Only two tracks here from RFK Stadium that summer - but both worth a close listen.

http://www.dead.net/store/1980s/rfk-stadium-1989-box?cmpid=dn/2017September28/FirstListenRfk7-ListenInHereFor-main-more-1&eml=2017September28/4126082/6131962&etsubid=69323497

Hey Bud, thanks for the point out.
Please allow me to suggests "Dick's Picks" as the place to go for live Dead soundboard recordings. All have been made available on the you tube at one time or another, and it is still possible to purchase copies if capitalism is not too weird... lol.

Daug
bud
Forum Full Member

Friday, September 29 2017 @ 11:23 AM CDT

I'm aware of Dick's Picks and own quite a few. What impressed me with this offering is the quality of the production. I've never heard any of their other releases with so much separation. Usually Bob Weir's guitar gets lost and Phil's bass sound dull. This was made from a 24 track board recording.
Another resource is The Archive which has given the tapers their own section to swap free downloads - good for those times when capitalism risks ruining an otherwise good day.https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Saturday, September 30 2017 @ 02:29 PM CDT

Here you go, Kevin...The only one I'm in the audience for...still with the Wall PA, and they even did Box of Rain that night...the final hour is pretty awesome...

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
bud
Forum Full Member

Saturday, September 30 2017 @ 03:31 PM CDT

The only one that you know of - or the only time you saw the band? If it's the latter - you caught them at a good time. Yes - the final hour is where it's at.

Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Saturday, September 30 2017 @ 06:51 PM CDT

Lots of wonderful dead live gigs online. Allman Brother's not so much, Duane's demise didn't stop them from touring but the band was decidedly different.
There are still many unreleased board recordings from the Brothers. The Fairytale LP was infamous. Took a long time for that one to weasel out... more unreleased dates from the Fillmore are rumored.
As long as as you guys are interested in the Live Dead, here's a concensus top five Dead show, Aug 13, 1975 at the Great American. Jerry's performance is otherworldly... the back story is Jerry was suppose to have not played guitar for 3 days... so he was just rusty on this gig...

https://youtu.be/hsY57U474H4

Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 01 2017 @ 12:21 PM CDT

Quote by: bud
The only one that you know of - or the only time you saw the band? If it's the latter - you caught them at a good time. Yes - the final hour is where it's at.

Only time I saw the band. They came on a half hour early and played to curfew.

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn

bud
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 01 2017 @ 09:29 PM CDT

Quote by: Daugrin
Lots of wonderful dead live gigs online. Allman Brother's not so much, Duane's demise didn't stop them from touring but the band was decidedly different.
There are still many unreleased board recordings from the Brothers. The Fairytale LP was infamous. Took a long time for that one to weasel out... more unreleased dates from the Fillmore are rumored.
As long as as you guys are interested in the Live Dead, here's a concensus top five Dead show, Aug 13, 1975 at the Great American. Jerry's performance is otherworldly... the back story is Jerry was suppose to have not played guitar for 3 days... so he was just rusty on this gig...

https://youtu.be/hsY57U474H4

Now you're talking.

Stellar show and a good mix. Firing on all cylinders.