Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Novelty Instruments?
Monday, November 06 2017 @ 07:47 AM CST

Ah, not strange in a tonal, structural sense... but strange
as their novelty inspires?

Daug
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Re:Novelty Instruments?
Monday, November 06 2017 @ 08:35 AM CST

what does the word "novelty" mean? The glass harmonica is old enough that Mozart wrote for it.

Also

V.

-- My CD.
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 06 2017 @ 09:28 AM CST

Quote by: VicDiesel
what does the word "novelty" mean? The glass harmonica is old enough that Mozart wrote for it.

Also

V.

nov·el·ty
ˈnävəltē/Submit
noun
the quality of being new, original, or unusual.
"the novelty of being a married woman wore off"
synonyms: originality, newness, freshness, unconventionality, unfamiliarity; difference, imaginativeness, creativity, innovation, modernity
"the novelty of our approach"

Always willing to help out you out Vic, but me thinks yer being snarky. It is unbecoming in the least...lol. What does novel mean? When is novelty a marketing tool?
The idea is to draw inspiration from the performances in the vid I posted, arguing
that the instruments featured are not unusual is counterintuitive, and, at worst belies the agenda of the hate filled.
That trio in yer video never took off commercially, I bought their long playing record when it first came out, the performances on the lp were uninspired, wonder why?

Daug
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 06 2017 @ 09:37 AM CST

One of the most-fascinating things I got to see ... and, I got to see it ...was Pat Metheney’s “Orchestrion Project.”

Watch it here.

VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 06 2017 @ 04:12 PM CST

Quote by: Daugrin

Always willing to help out you out Vic, but me thinks yer being snarky. It is unbecoming in the least...lol. What does novel mean?

"lol" ? How old are you?

Anyway, the word novelty has the connotations of "new for the sake of newness". I don't think you can call a glass harmonica a novelty when it's over 2 centuries old. Likewise the Hang drum is almost old and tired, with too many people playing it or (more likely) one of its knock-offs.

That was my only point.

Victor.

PS I really like both the Trio and "Trio II" albums. Their commercial success is irrelevant to me.

-- My CD.

bud
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 06 2017 @ 08:32 PM CST

I found the Kalimba performance to be mesmerizing. It's especially interesting to see how the bass lines shift from the left hand to the right hand throughout the piece.
Youtube served me up this shortly after. No commentary on novelty, just great playing.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.