Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Eagles' new CD
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 01:59 PM CST

Does anyone know the details behind the Eagles' new CD - Long Road Out of Eden?

It appears that there is no "major label" involved with it. Is this something they created, produced, distributed and marketed all on their own?

Re:Eagles' new CD
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:02 PM CST

I'm not sure, but I would be interested to know if it is any good. Anyone out there have it?

Quote by: SmokeyVW
Does anyone know the details behind the Eagles' new CD? It appears that there is no "major label" involved with it. Is this something they created, produced, distributed and marketed all on their own?

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:15 PM CST

Quote by: admiralebay
I'm not sure, but I would be interested to know if it is any good. Anyone out there have it?

Does anyone know the details behind the Eagles' new CD? It appears that there is no "major label" involved with it. Is this something they created, produced, distributed and marketed all on their own?

My wife bought a copy at Wal Mart - and what I heard is pretty good, assuming you like the Eagles style. The opening song features CSNY-like vocals - it's almost a cappella, just a bit of guitar in the back. I really liked that one.

(On the other hand: The third or fourth song left me chuckling (something like "what About My Heart?"): the lyrics and rhyme scheme were a bit too obvious and cliche to my taste - it's less interesting when you can guess the next line several times in the same song. Although it's a nice torchsong I suppose.)

I have not heard the rest of it yet. There are 2 CDs, totalling 20 songs.

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:30 PM CST

Cool cool. .. yeah, it's on my list of cds I want for sure. 20 songs huh? That's great.

Quote by: admiralebay

My wife bought a copy at Wal Mart - and what I heard is pretty good, assuming you like the Eagles style. The opening song features CSNY-like vocals - it's almost a cappella, just a bit of guitar in the back. I really liked that one.

(On the other hand: The third or fourth song left me chuckling (something like "what About My Heart?"): the lyrics and rhyme scheme were a bit too obvious and cliche to my taste - it's less interesting when you can guess the next line several times in the same song. Although it's a nice torchsong I suppose.)

I have not heard the rest of it yet. There are 2 CDs, totalling 20 songs.

Ejh
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 06:11 PM CST

When I heard that they HAD a new CD, I checked it out on the Internet. It's distributed exclusively through Wal-Mart. No major label distribution, as far as I know. No iTunes. No Amazon. Just Wal-Mart. Apparently that deal holds for a year. You can also get it from the Eagles web site...

Some interesting articles/press releases:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/11/07/breaking-news-exclusive-wal-mart-eagles-album-not-so-exclusive/

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2007/10/29/32751/858

http://www.walmartfacts.com/articles/4552.aspx

It's a double-CD, and Wal-Mart sells it for $11.88, while other outlets that have managed to get it seem to be selling it in the $18-$24 range...

I'm considering buying it...I'm still mad at these guys for firing Don Felder, though... Not that I suppose they're sweating my sale-or-not-sale...

Ed

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 07:45 PM CST

Quote by: Ejh
When I heard that they HAD a new CD, I checked it out on the Internet. It's distributed exclusively through Wal-Mart. No major label distribution, as far as I know. No iTunes. No Amazon. Just Wal-Mart. Apparently that deal holds for a year. You can also get it from the Eagles web site...

Some interesting articles/press releases:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/11/07/breaking-news-exclusive-wal-mart-eagles-album-not-so-exclusive/

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2007/10/29/32751/858

http://www.walmartfacts.com/articles/4552.aspx

It's a double-CD, and Wal-Mart sells it for $11.88, while other outlets that have managed to get it seem to be selling it in the $18-$24 range...

I'm considering buying it...I'm still mad at these guys for firing Don Felder, though... Not that I suppose they're sweating my sale-or-not-sale...

Ed

Hi Ed

Wanna drop by and split a bottle of wine while we listen to my wife's CD?

(er, will the RIAA arrest us for that?)

- Bill
Ejh
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 09:13 PM CST

Yes, they will...

As you are aware, the RIAA has for some time been looking at the legal ramifications of splitting bottles of wine....in particular, so-called 'wine-sharing networks' have been driving down the profit margins in the music-related industries, which at times count on mood and perception altering substances to enhance the marketing of their products...

See, 'Dadai, Lost Music Roots', ibid.

Might be cool to get together, though, anyway...

Ed

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
ziti
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 09:51 PM CST

the boston globe's story about why the eagles chose wal mart as sole distributor, the headline was LIFE IN THE VAST CHAIN.

i thought that was a good one!

z

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 09:56 PM CST

Quote by: Ejh
Yes, they will...

As you are aware, the RIAA has for some time been looking at the legal ramifications of splitting bottles of wine....in particular, so-called 'wine-sharing networks' have been driving down the profit margins in the music-related industries, which at times count on mood and perception altering substances to enhance the marketing of their products...

See, 'Dadai, Lost Music Roots', ibid.

Might be cool to get together, though, anyway...

Ed

OK - let's forget about this idea (and take it offline...)