Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author

Why People Hate Me
Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 10:30 AM CST

Why people hate me…

In the late 1980’s, the music industry, in an attempt to garner more money from the youth of the world noticed a trend among disenfranchised youth. The saw the term ‘heavy ‘metal was being used with more and more frequency. They began to market bands as heavy metal in order to capitalize upon that trend. Not only did they kill the genre, but also they signed a hoard of horrible bands with little talent and little affiliation with the term heavy metal. When the trend changed, and moved toward a darker, bluesy Seattle sound, the only metal bands out there were the fringe acts, the ones who stayed in the background, and garnered little attention. Some old bands of the heavy metal hierarchy managed to weather this musical storm, but thankfully, the ones with no talent all faded into the distance, to begin their lives as employees of their local guitar center or tower records stores.
During this time one band stood out in particular. A Texas powerhouse named Pantera. They ignored the trend of their Seattle brethren as well as many of the clichés of their genre and went in a different direction. Super distorted guitars, pounding double bass grooves, and ear shattering vocals, as if coming from the grave itself. Their singer, did little singing, but rather growled and snarled like a caged beast straining at his bonds. This trend soon caught on, as every Seattle and alt rock band began sounding like they all rehearsed at the same coffee shop. The trend of metal became darker, more demonic, more double bass drum oriented.
Music labels, again seeking only profits from trends, got on the new metal bus, signing bands not for talent, as usual, but for the ability to sound like a wood chipper. Guitars got dirtier. Singers ceased singing and now sounded like a parody of a sesame street character. Drummers stopped [playing actual beats, and simply soloed throughout the song.
Now, it has come to the age that metal came to in 1988-89. It has become a joke of itself. How many people get frightened by the new metal vocalists? Me, I laugh. They are not intimidating in their vocal style. I think about all the scar tissue they are accumulating on their vocal chords, and it makes me sad. Even if they did get signed, with a road schedule they could not last more than a year or two before losing their ability to even utter a grunt.
People hate that I represent an older style of metal. They are insulted that I would try to put harmony and singing back in a genre that has simply gone too far. No one listens to metal anymore due to the parody of music it has become. Are the players really learning abut theory and how to actually compose a song? Or do they get the tablature of a few dozen solos and then write an album? Guitar lines these days are nothing more that single string dropped tuning solo lines, with little structure, and less cohesiveness. And, like the bands of the late 80’s, they all sound the same. I try to tell my metal brothers their time is coming to and end; yet they disagree. They feel I am an old reminder of metal’s parodious history. And perhaps that it true. But I am also a reminder of where metal came from, and how metal used to mean something other than blunt force trauma. It was a song you could sing. A song you could feel. Not a head bashing background tune in the latest first person shooter video game. Metal was a way of thinking outside the box, and being different. Now, new metal is the thing we metal heads want to be different from. It has become the hair rock of the 80’s. And that’s why people hate me. I represent the future. And people fear the future.

Re:Why People Hate Me
Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 10:38 AM CST

Quote by: Allen Dean
Why people hate me…

In the late 1980’s, the music industry, in an attempt to garner more money from the youth of the world noticed a trend among disenfranchised youth. The saw the term ‘heavy ‘metal was being used with more and more frequency. They began to market bands as heavy metal in order to capitalize upon that trend. Not only did they kill the genre, but also they signed a hoard of horrible bands with little talent and little affiliation with the term heavy metal. When the trend changed, and moved toward a darker, bluesy Seattle sound, the only metal bands out there were the fringe acts, the ones who stayed in the background, and garnered little attention. Some old bands of the heavy metal hierarchy managed to weather this musical storm, but thankfully, the ones with no talent all faded into the distance, to begin their lives as employees of their local guitar center or tower records stores.
During this time one band stood out in particular. A Texas powerhouse named Pantera. They ignored the trend of their Seattle brethren as well as many of the clichés of their genre and went in a different direction. Super distorted guitars, pounding double bass grooves, and ear shattering vocals, as if coming from the grave itself. Their singer, did little singing, but rather growled and snarled like a caged beast straining at his bonds. This trend soon caught on, as every Seattle and alt rock band began sounding like they all rehearsed at the same coffee shop. The trend of metal became darker, more demonic, more double bass drum oriented.
Music labels, again seeking only profits from trends, got on the new metal bus, signing bands not for talent, as usual, but for the ability to sound like a wood chipper. Guitars got dirtier. Singers ceased singing and now sounded like a parody of a sesame street character. Drummers stopped [playing actual beats, and simply soloed throughout the song.
Now, it has come to the age that metal came to in 1988-89. It has become a joke of itself. How many people get frightened by the new metal vocalists? Me, I laugh. They are not intimidating in their vocal style. I think about all the scar tissue they are accumulating on their vocal chords, and it makes me sad. Even if they did get signed, with a road schedule they could not last more than a year or two before losing their ability to even utter a grunt.
People hate that I represent an older style of metal. They are insulted that I would try to put harmony and singing back in a genre that has simply gone too far. No one listens to metal anymore due to the parody of music it has become. Are the players really learning abut theory and how to actually compose a song? Or do they get the tablature of a few dozen solos and then write an album? Guitar lines these days are nothing more that single string dropped tuning solo lines, with little structure, and less cohesiveness. And, like the bands of the late 80’s, they all sound the same. I try to tell my metal brothers their time is coming to and end; yet they disagree. They feel I am an old reminder of metal’s parodious history. And perhaps that it true. But I am also a reminder of where metal came from, and how metal used to mean something other than blunt force trauma. It was a song you could sing. A song you could feel. Not a head bashing background tune in the latest first person shooter video game. Metal was a way of thinking outside the box, and being different. Now, new metal is the thing we metal heads want to be different from. It has become the hair rock of the 80’s. And that’s why people hate me. I represent the future. And people fear the future.

I love and many of us love what you are doing you really ROCKS.... I just wonder WHY Egobandit have left us? METAL NEVER DIES BUT WE DO.... U are the best rock singer I have heard here and you could fit to any big METAL BAND that is what I think of you... Cheers pal.

Kenta

Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 10:46 AM CST

thanks, kenta, but i dont mean here at mac jams. everone here loves and supports me, and i feel the same love and support for all of you in return. i am speaking of the mainstream musicians out there on other music sites who seem like they are stuck in thier ways of screaching and howling and thier lack of songwriting abilities..

Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 10:52 AM CST

Quote by: screaching and howling and thier lack of songwriting abilities..

I see that now I had not read all I just so Egobandit have left us so I got panic when I so this.
But know I'm cool and I agree with you.... Keep Rocking love u work/song writing u are a master in you genre. Cheers Pal.

Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 11:19 AM CST

a very articulate and well thought out post, Allen.
It certainly brings forth a lot of thought as to state of heavy music today and how it got there.
I agree with you that the future of heaviness is going back to the root source.
I see many kids these days sporting old Iron Maiden and Judas Priest to name a few, shirts. I think, "they actually know who that is?"
Also, i hear about bands like Motley Crue Queensryche touring again... to much success.
I think older folks (people your age and mine) who grew up on hwat is now considered "classic metal" and how disenfranchised we are at the new state of music. Also, ironically, Guitar Hero and Rock Band, will have a part to play,I think.
Those games are loaded with great music. So, kids who never even heard of Primus and Kansas will be like, "hey this is pretty cool. who the hell is this?"
There seems to be a 20 year retro-cycle where things of the past come back often bigger than before. Then, they get over used and discarded.
I think you, my friend are poised to strike now as the cycle begins to come back around. your polished musicianship and vocal ability are looming like a monolith waiting for the unsuspecting passerby to assault them with real music and leave them helpless but to succumb to you metal workings.
your time is coming, brother. hopefully, Monty Cali will be there with you... but Allen Dean will become a household name!!!
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 11:35 AM CST

Hey, Allen... I don't hate you.

I'm not a big metal fan (some of that due to things you mention), but I'm always willing to give a (brief) listen to hear if there's anything of musical value in a piece.

I like your approach to the genre. You show a lot of talent and infuse a lot of energy and musical savvy into your work. It's all good.

As far as the future of the genre... who can predict? How much excess is too much? Does it have boundaries? Maybe cash flow for the labels, perhaps nothing else. lol

The Internet has the potential to change and shape musical tastes, but I believe it's years away yet. It can't come too soon. The current musical cycle has endured too long.

Something has to change. Let's hope it's a change for the better.

--- Joe

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND

Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 11:49 AM CST

Well said Allen!

I for one deeply appreciate your struggle to put art and intelligence back into the genre.

A bit of rebellion is a good thing but the current trend seems to be a rebellion against music itself!

I hope your approach becomes the wave of the future. It's time for an awakening!

Rock on brother!
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 12:03 PM CST

Quote by: Allen Dean
a different direction. Super distorted guitars, pounding double bass grooves

An upright bass in metal? That I got to hear....

Singers ceased singing and now sounded like a parody of a sesame street character.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that AC/DC sounds like Daffy Duck.

But I thought he was Warner Bros, not Henson Enterprises.

Anyway......

And that’s why people hate me. I represent the future. And people fear the future.

I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who can muster the self-importance to write something like that. Or are you quoting out-takes from Spinal Tap?

Victor.

-- My CD.
michael2
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 01:21 PM CST

i like a lot of metal, and i probably hate more (a lot of crap out there). the same thing happened to "alternative" music, jazz, blues, etc... once someone notices something cool, they grab it, clean it up and pump it down the publics throats. nature of the game i suppose. just do what you want, and move onto something different each and every time you feel the need.

ageofthedeathtree
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 02 2007 @ 01:45 PM CST

i'd have to agree with you man, metal is dying out...and has been nothing but a joke for a long time. what i try to do in my writing is, basically, to bring back what i love about music i feel shouldnt have gone away (while adding a new and interesting feel to it). i know not all of our songs are "metal", and really you could say they're not in the metal category at all. but in my mind they are...at least a bit. nice heavy riffs, without being too terribly grinding...and vocals you can "sing along with" as you stated. i don't know man, everyone has their own position on the matter i guess, and i feel i'm alongside you on this one! besides, you rock man...you know that!

sincerely,

...seekers of truth...