Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

shame
Wednesday, November 16 2016 @ 06:44 PM CST

yes this site is not viable any more

i just tried to listen to a tune on this site, referenced on a recent forum post. NOPE. can't do it. it won't play

that is why people here are saying SHAME on Simon

they're right... this is not a real website anymore. it's an echo of a memory of the real thing

optimists say it's still alive. NOPE. it's not. it is dying, big time

i recently ran the song posts per day graph thingy... and it was so bad i decided not to post it

the endless parade of obits depresses me. it's sad to see yet again someone you knew has died. i know, death is part of life. it still hurts
smokey bacon jnr
Forum Full Member

Re:shame
Saturday, November 26 2016 @ 02:41 PM CST

Yeah, it's a real shame. There's no other site that offers the depth of support that Macjams has offered. The more it falls apart, the less appealing it is, and membership drops off - myself included.
mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Saturday, November 26 2016 @ 08:59 PM CST

Hello Bill,

God, I miss this place. Well, not this place... this gaunt, near-silent ghost of a memory is uncomfortable to be in. A grand old hotel that once created its own legends and its own mythology, it's now not even a roadside motel with a few karaoke acts on the weekend. It's just... it's just here, still existing but nothing more than walls and some broken windows and a parking lot choked with weeds.

There's an owner, but who knows where. That owner won't turn over the keys to the dwindling few that still care about the place. Some shame the owner for his neglect, while others still find words of praise for the fact that the place still exists. I think both are right, although I wonder how much of the latter I genuinely feel. Perhaps...

Perhaps if this sad, empty shadow of what once was were to finally drop out of sight for good, I could finally feel a proper sense of mourning and closure for that grand old hotel and the crazy hurricane of creative energy it once housed. But it continues to simply... exist. This empty place almost mocks the memories I have of the challenges, the festivals, the ideas, the collaborations, the friendships, the real-life connections, the... the sheer MUSICAL LIFE this place breathed. It was potent, it was alive, it was explosive and contagious and it reached out to ME, the yob who is too intimidated to walk into a music store anymore, and got me creating music again. I started singing. I covered a TOBIN MUELLER song! TOBIN FREAKING MUELLER! I collated with VIC HOLMAN! GUY GROOVES! CHAR! And then there's the animation...

What happened here? MJ was a place where music MATTERED. It was a community, a real and genuine community and there was nothing else like it on the vast and soulless internet. Trust me - if there was, I'd be there. But this place... oh, this place, it was...

It's simply gone. And this empty place saddens me beyond words.

I don't know what to say. I smile when I think of the wonderful afternoon eating fish tacos with Drakonis. I grin when I remember my dinner with Bud at Molino's in Brooklyn. I laugh when I remember the bear hug I got from DJ French Toast. And those countless hours weaving MacJams City... so much great stuff, so much great stuff that reminded me that I am an artist among artists, and belong in that community.

Being a MacJammer still means so much to me, represents something important and valued and real, because as the decades wear you down you can forget that you are an artist and belong in that community. Truly belong, even though you're middle-aged and uncool and drive a truck for a living and feel too intimidated to walk into a music store. MJ reminded me that none of that shit mattered - what mattered was your music. Your art. Make music. Make art. Then go make some more. As the great philosopher Frank Zappa once said.... 'shut up n'play yer guitar some more'.*

I owe MJ so much for the artist I've become (one might say again), and the pride I feel saying 'I'm a MacJammer' isn't slighted at all by then having to explain what that means.

But I do so, so miss the place I once knew.

* - Actually, that was an album title. I'm not sure if he ever actually said it.
egobandit
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 27 2016 @ 03:25 PM CST

Quote by: mr_mordenus
Hello Bill,

God, I miss this place. Well, not this place... this gaunt, near-silent ghost of a memory is uncomfortable to be in. A grand old hotel that once created its own legends and its own mythology, it's now not even a roadside motel with a few karaoke acts on the weekend. It's just... it's just here, still existing but nothing more than walls and some broken windows and a parking lot choked with weeds.

There's an owner, but who knows where. That owner won't turn over the keys to the dwindling few that still care about the place. Some shame the owner for his neglect, while others still find words of praise for the fact that the place still exists. I think both are right, although I wonder how much of the latter I genuinely feel. Perhaps...

Perhaps if this sad, empty shadow of what once was were to finally drop out of sight for good, I could finally feel a proper sense of mourning and closure for that grand old hotel and the crazy hurricane of creative energy it once housed. But it continues to simply... exist. This empty place almost mocks the memories I have of the challenges, the festivals, the ideas, the collaborations, the friendships, the real-life connections, the... the sheer MUSICAL LIFE this place breathed. It was potent, it was alive, it was explosive and contagious and it reached out to ME, the yob who is too intimidated to walk into a music store anymore, and got me creating music again. I started singing. I covered a TOBIN MUELLER song! TOBIN FREAKING MUELLER! I collated with VIC HOLMAN! GUY GROOVES! CHAR! And then there's the animation...

What happened here? MJ was a place where music MATTERED. It was a community, a real and genuine community and there was nothing else like it on the vast and soulless internet. Trust me - if there was, I'd be there. But this place... oh, this place, it was...

I don't know what to say. I smile when I think of the wonderful afternoon eating fish tacos with Drakonis. I grin when I remember my dinner with Bud at Molino's in Brooklyn. I laugh when I remember the bear hug I got from DJ French Toast. And those countless hours weaving MacJams City... so much great stuff, so much great stuff that reminded me that I am an artist among artists, and belong in that community.

Being a MacJammer still means so much to me, represents something important and valued and real, because as the decades wear you down you can forget that you are an artist and belong in that community. Truly belong, even though you're middle-aged and uncool and drive a truck for a living and feel too intimidated to walk into a music store. MJ reminded me that none of that shit mattered - what mattered was your music. Your art. Make music. Make art. Then go make some more. As the great philosopher Frank Zappa once said.... 'shut up n'play yer guitar some more'.*

I owe MJ so much for the artist I've become (one might say again), and the pride I feel saying 'I'm a MacJammer' isn't slighted at all by then having to explain what that means.

* - Actually, that was an album title. I'm not sure if he ever actually said it.

about sums it up in a nut shell
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 27 2016 @ 03:36 PM CST

Quote by: egobandit
Quote by: mr_mordenus
Hello Bill,

about sums it up in a nut shell

Calchas
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 28 2016 @ 09:32 AM CST

Damn... I finally get up and running again and start recording music only to find that MJ is pretty much a cyber ghost-town!

This is bitterly disappointing.

Anyone left here believe it can be turned around again?
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 28 2016 @ 01:48 PM CST

Quote by: Calchas

Anyone left here believe it can be turned around again?

Hey Mike, it's not looking very likely, is it...

cheers,
Jack (formerly of the Goodwilly's) Wink

Take a listen >>> Texas Tango
PeterB7858
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 28 2016 @ 02:56 PM CST

Perhaps the site could be turned around if there was a groundswell of naysayers from the forums who actually started recording, posting and commenting on other people's music again?

Just a thought...

Regards,

Peter
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 28 2016 @ 05:00 PM CST

Quote by: PeterB7858
Perhaps the site could be turned around if there was a groundswell of naysayers from the forums who actually started recording, posting and commenting on other people's music again?

Just a thought...

Regards,

Peter

Peter, "naysayers" are those who are perpetually negative. Kinda paining with a broad brush there? Start recording and commenting? I'll speak for myself. I joined in 2004. Between my 2004 to 2008 stint and my current 2008 to the present I have amassed over 23,000 points (over 6200 comments not including collab band accounts), collabs with Mike (Calchas) many times as well as many collabs with many others and uploaded close to 200 songs including collabs. SmokeyVW has hundreds of songs and tons of comments. I only point this out to note that the "naysayers" in this thread have been very involved and supportive for a long time and are just reflecting on the present state of things which began going downhill long ago due to the Admin's slow but sure removal of itself from MacJams. All that said I hope that things do get better.

cheers,
Jack

Take a listen >>> Texas Tango

PeterB7858
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 28 2016 @ 06:17 PM CST

Really not trying to get into a slanging match.

Jack, my observations definitely weren't directed at you. Sorry if it came across that way. You are still an active, vital member of the MJ community.

I just get a bit tired of reading forum threads (and there have been many over the last three years or so...) where previously active members spend their time writing lengthy obituaries about MJ often citing Simon and Co. for all its problems.

The facts are that the site still functions as intended, albeit with it being a bit frayed round the edges...
I can still post a song.
I can still listen to other peoples' songs (not easily on an IOS device, I grant you, but no problems on my Mac or PC).
I can still post comments and/or fav other peoples' songs.
I can still download their music (for free!!!).
I can email other members.
I get email notifications when my favourites post a song.

There have been hiccups on all of the above at some stage over the last few years but for those of us who have stayed the course, right now, they are all working.

The real issue that still needs fixing seems to be getting new members/songs approved. And I agree this is a major issue. Can't someone smarter than me think of a work-around? E.g. Anyone got a second old, working account that they donate to new talent?

I am not sure what people actually want the site to do other than that.

Yes, the interface looks like it was out of the 70's but, to me, that is part of its charm.

And yes, some people's avatars don't work but I am sure if they fiddled around with file types and file sizes they could fix that themselves. Avatars are working for some people. It can't be selective, can it?

It seems that many long-standing, previously active members now log on "invisibly". Why is that? Their continued visible presence on the site would be a fillip for the place. I wish the function wasn't available.

For me, the bottom line is that, if past/present members want to get the site humming again they need to get back to writing and recording new music, put it out there for comment and find time to listen to and comment on others people's music. All of which is still possible. The fiddly technical issues are just their to be overcome if you are determined enough.

I am not going to comment on the thread again because I don't want it to turn into another lengthy "he said/she said", "I agree/disagree with him/her" thread.

MJ still has a lot to offer as a site, flaws and all. If the many fine people that make up the community are prepared to jump back on the bus and start singing along we can again make some mighty fine music. The joy of making music is what it is about.

Regards,

Peter.