Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author

Rockband Game pissing me off
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 08:24 AM CST

Ok, I don't know if anyone else feels like this-- but have you seen the new "rock band" video game? Part of me is glad to see something that allows all people to "play music", but there is a side of me that completely despises the concept. Am I going to Hell?

Haha, no really though. I have watched some of my friends spend HOURS upon HOURS getting good at that game, and it just makes me cringe. I think about how they could have taken all that time and effort and actually applied it to a real instrument. Some people may say, "Well they are actually getting a basic foundation for how intruments work, so it is beneficial."-- but I disagree. When I play the game, I feel like it is 95% visual. There really isn't much musical deciphering going on in my mind. You can play the game muted.

I'm sort of sick of these prescribed, pre packaged, music experiences. Is it just me or is society really whoring out the art of music extra heavy lately? American Idol, American Band, guitar video games. . .etc. etc. . .

But maybe it is just because I'm 22, and that's around the age when you develop the downtrodden, pessimistic, stick it to the Man attitude. LOL.
michael2
Forum Full Member

Re:Rockband Game pissing me off
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 10:38 AM CST

Quote by: admiralebay

But maybe it is just because I'm 22, and that's around the age when you develop the downtrodden, pessimistic, stick it to the Man attitude. LOL.

probably, when I was your age i was basically like: F@ck anyone who stands in my way.
although there is a lot of marketing of music in these days as the labels try and find ways to make up for losses in the sales arena. they end up licensing music out anywhere they can. my wife and I come from a very indie background, and now she works at a big label. pays the bills and sometimes she comes home with the worst stories. bands getting screwed while A&R guys decide what the "vision" of the band is, artists who are huge that don't write their own songs (way too commonplace now), more focus being spent on the bands look than sound, the return of the prefabricated boyband.

she basically keeps herself sane by not looking at it as music most of the time. more like a puzzle that she has to figure out how to put together and sell.
Tiny_Man_Inside
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 10:46 AM CST

[quoted: she basically keeps herself sane by not looking at it as music most of the time. more like a puzzle that she has to figure out how to put together and sell.]

The music industry has always been a sordid affair. It's really sad when style prevails over substance. At least your wife has the smarts to recognize it for what it is...
kristyjo
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 11:01 AM CST

Quote by: admiralebay

Haha, no really though. I have watched some of my friends spend HOURS upon HOURS getting good at that game, and it just makes me cringe. I think about how they could have taken all that time and effort and actually applied it to a real instrument...

Well, I'm a lot older than 22, and I very much see your point. My own kids are into guitar hero, and while it beats the bloody shooters they might be playing, I, too wonder why they don't spend the extra time practicing real music, on a real guitar. (OK, they ARE in the school band and play piano, so they get some of that.)

I think part of it is that it is much easier to do the games, yet there's a feeling of accomplishment and immediate positive feedback when you're successful.

As for the music industry - it's time for a revolution. Take it on, all of you 20 and 30-something musicians!

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 11:08 AM CST

i think guitar hero and rock band can be more than a simple video game. they can be the catylist and a jump point for young kids to see how cool music can be and possibly start playing real instruments. my sons are constantly asking me if i know how to play the songs on the game for real, and it has given them a genuine interest in real rock and metal songs. and, on a side note, it can really be a tough game to play. i tried "number of the beast," a song i know how to play well, and played it on GH3, difficulty set to hard, and it was tough to do. the eye hand coordination is reall good for the brain, especially the pre-frontal cortex. it is not violent, and there is an expression element there not found in other games. i like it.

Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 11:36 AM CST

Quote by: Allen Dean
the eye hand coordination is reall good for the brain, especially the pre-frontal cortex. it is not violent, and there is an expression element there not found in other games. i like it.

This is basically what I was saying in my response in the other thread that was created for this: I don't get pissed off too much about this because I know it's just a game. It's really about hand-eye coordination and not about music. You get to listen to some cool music while playing it, I guess, and you're not virtually killing anything virtually, so it's better than a lot of these games. People that think they are actually doing something musical are sadly deluded, but other than that, I don't see the harm. The musicians that have written songs might get some trickle-down royalties and that's good since people aren't going out to see real music as much these days because they are staying home playing video games.