Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author

Rockband Game pissing me off
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 08:24 AM CST

Ok, I don't know if anyone else feels like this-- but have you seen the new "rock band" video game? Part of me is glad to see something that allows all people to "play music", but there is a side of me that completely despises the concept. Am I going to Hell?

Haha, no really though. I have watched some of my friends spend HOURS upon HOURS getting good at that game, and it just makes me cringe. I think about how they could have taken all that time and effort and actually applied it to a real instrument. Some people may say, "Well they are actually getting a basic foundation for how intruments work, so it is beneficial."-- but I disagree. When I play the game, I feel like it is 95% visual. There really isn't much musical deciphering going on in my mind. You can play the game muted.

I'm sort of sick of these prescribed, pre packaged, music experiences. Is it just me or is society really whoring out the art of music extra heavy lately? American Idol, American Band, guitar video games. . .etc. etc. . .

But maybe it is just because I'm 22, and that's around the age when you develop the downtrodden, pessimistic, stick it to the Man attitude. LOL.
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Re:Rockband Game pissing me off
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 08:54 AM CST

Well, I don't get pissed off too easily because I know it's just a game. It's really about hand-eye coordination and not about music. You get to listen to some cool music while playing it, I guess, and you're not virtually killing anything virtually, so it's better than a lot of these games. People that think they are actually doing something musical are sadly deluded, but other than that, I don't see the harm. The musicians that have written songs might get some trickle-down royalties and that's good since people aren't going out to see real music as much these days because they are staying home playing video games.

Re:Rockband Game pissing me off
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 09:02 AM CST

My two youngest daughters (14 & 15) have the "Guitar Hero" games 1 & 2 for Playstation2, and they have a blast with it. They bought it with their own earned money....

The 15 year old plays viola and violin (has been for 4-5 years) in the orchestra at school and competes for "chair" positioning in state regionals.

The 14 year old has been playing french horn in Jr high for a year & 1/2 now, and has first chair in the band at school and is doing very well.

I guess it really doesn't bother me that they play the guitar games; we try to get them to balance their time on the games, computer, and TV with other stuff like chores and instrument practice....