Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for impact
Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 07:23 PM CST

Obligatory video (for what it's worth)....

with guest appearance by David Crosby

Take a listen >>> Texas Tango
Alimar
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 07:50 PM CST

"Get yer H1N1 Flu shots... a real deal... $20.00..."

(This thread may grow larger than... Ikabod Pain's!

"Get yer Ikabod Pain shots... a real deal... $20.00..."

ALIMAR "The Other White Meat" 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21
Alimar
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 07:51 PM CST

Oops!

ALIMAR "The Other White Meat" 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21
guitapick
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 09:26 PM CST

I don't like the "rush" to do it. Same as with the bailout. Otherwise we're all "doomed". I understand the need for expediency in terms of public opinion. Kissinger once said that the American public's attention span only extended to 3 months. Gotta git it while the goin's good. Understood.

But it's such a huge issue...and the rush can so easily be abused.

I live between the notes

CDBaby "Above the Surface" iTunes Store

Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 09:28 PM CST

Quote by: guitapick
I don't like the "rush" to do it. Same as with the bailout. Otherwise we're all "doomed". I understand the need for expediency in terms of public opinion. Kissinger once said that the American public's attention span only extended to 3 months. Gotta git it while the goin's good. Understood.

Well said Bob (and why the big rush?)...

Take a listen >>> Texas Tango
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 10:53 PM CST

Quote by: MotherofMeursault
The monumental costs associated with insurance and sickness in the US are the direct result of government interference in the form of endless modification, regulation, congressional payoffs and all the associated leeches that come with government intervention: lawyers, accountants, bureaucrats, etc etc...

So, who is it that has been paying-off congress to ruin the health care system all these years?

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 05:37 AM CST

Part of the reason may be a very genuine desire to keep a campaign promise...
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 06:10 AM CST

Quote by: Rocha Malhada

Part of the reason may be a very genuine desire to keep a campaign promise...

Thank you, Harold, for what I perceive to be a very real desire to be reasonable and open-minded... Here and elsewhere....

I think that President Obama is an honest and ethical man, and does, in fact, want to do what he said he would do, and was elected to do...

Ed

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 06:27 AM CST

As far as I have ever been able to tell, the American system of government was written by and for colonial landowners and businessman, and has always served the interests of that sector, from the earliest days of the republic....

I don't think that this has always been a bad thing, (although many times it has been) but I certainly don't think it is a NEW thing....

I sometimes get the sense that some MacJammers perceive some sort of leftist cabal subverting what should have been a pure system of government. I think much of the growth of government that has actually happened and not just been proposed has actually been due to the support of business interests and lobbies, and even when something seems to reign in or restrict an industy, there has usually seemed to me to be something in there that benefits that same sector....

Thus, it sometimes seems to me that in politics when business interests are screaming about "big government!" they often turn out to really be screaming about "big government that doesn't benefit ME this time!"

And so even though one might look at Detroit or the banking industry or the aircraft industry as bastions of American free enterprise and a no-handout ethic, at least when it comes to keeping America from being "a welfare state", none of 'em has stepped back from taking their own bailout/handout money when hit with their own, largely self-generated, hard times....

I don't get why the dangers of big government suddenly loom large only when the proposal in question benefits the poor or the middle class... Or maybe I do...

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn

MotherofMeursault
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 07:02 AM CST

Quote by: Ed Hannifin
As far as I have ever been able to tell, the American system of government was written by and for colonial landowners and businessman, and has always served the interests of that sector, from the earliest days of the republic....

I don't think that this has always been a bad thing, (although many times it has been) but I certainly don't think it is a NEW thing....

I sometimes get the sense that some MacJammers perceive some sort of leftist cabal subverting what should have been a pure system of government. I think much of the growth of government that has actually happened and not just been proposed has actually been due to the support of business interests and lobbies, and even when something seems to reign in or restrict an industy, there has usually seemed to me to be something in there that benefits that same sector....

Thus, it sometimes seems to me that in politics when business interests are screaming about "big government!" they often turn out to really be screaming about "big government that doesn't benefit ME this time!"

And so even though one might look at Detroit or the banking industry or the aircraft industry as bastions of American free enterprise and a no-handout ethic, at least when it comes to keeping America from being "a welfare state", none of 'em has stepped back from taking their own bailout/handout money when hit with their own, largely self-generated, hard times....

I don't get why the dangers of big government suddenly loom large only when the proposal in question benefits the poor or the middle class... Or maybe I do...

Oh, bless YOU, dear! You are absolutely right, and the reason you don't hear much about the dangers of big government when times are good is that few people care to question the status quo (especially when there's all that good consuming to be done....). I can assure you, though, that there are those who saw that we were borrowing to consume and wage war rather than to produce, and that the vaporization of value that is washing over us was on the way. But nobody wants to listen to party poopers like that when the easy money is flowing.
Bad times do have the benefit, though, of focusing a population's attention on just how they've been lied to by those are charged with leading them. The last time the public was so focused was the 70's (you may remember Walter Cronkite himself saying the Fed was "counterfeiting money" on national TV!).

And, of course, as you point out, no business would ever say, "No" to government money. Nor would they sit idly by while their competitors fed from the public trough.

And far from seeing that as justification for increasing government's influence, I think it points to the opposite conclusion.