Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
ziti
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for impact
Friday, November 13 2009 @ 08:28 AM CST

MoM

cant help but notice when someone calls me "boy"...

and Ed is a good friend of mine, and I call him "dear" all the time.

Coming from you it sounds very arrogant. The point is being made about the right "talking down" to the MJ community.

Thanks Ed....I think you are right on...dearie.

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 08:53 AM CST

Quote by: ziti
The point is being made about the right "talking down" to the MJ community.

I don't know if you mean to include me, but that wasn't my own intent.
MotherofMeursault
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 09:48 AM CST

Quote by: ziti
MoM

cant help but notice when someone calls me "boy"...

and Ed is a good friend of mine, and I call him "dear" all the time.

Coming from you it sounds very arrogant. The point is being made about the right "talking down" to the MJ community.

Thanks Ed....I think you are right on...dearie.

Fran,

Do not take offense, please. The 'dear' business (and the 'Love, MoM' thing, too) is an essential part of my persona; it is 'schtick'. I mean it only as ironic, gentle humor and definitely NOT as condescension. I truly have the greatest possible respect and love for all the honest and kind people here. My interest is in presenting an underexposed political philosophy that I feel is essential to continued liberty in the US. I would be doing myself and my beliefs no favors at all by talking down to anyone.

I hope I have cleared up any misgivings you may have about my (very positive) intentions.

MoM
billykirsch
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 10:48 AM CST

I'm with (I think was) the second or third post in this thread. With all the respect and humility of a newbie, I guess the idea of a forum in a music making community is to talk about music. I'm with you in that this is a very important topic that affects everybody living in the USA, but it's not about music.

And returning back to music, if music is a channel to focus energy in a creative way, express ideas, and expose the good, the bad and the ugly, I potentially see a lot of music that could result from this post.
guitapick
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 10:59 AM CST

Quote by: Ed Hannifin
As far as I have ever been able to tell, the American system of government was written by and for colonial landowners and businessman, and has always served the interests of that sector, from the earliest days of the republic....

I don't think that this has always been a bad thing, (although many times it has been) but I certainly don't think it is a NEW thing....

I sometimes get the sense that some MacJammers perceive some sort of leftist cabal subverting what should have been a pure system of government. I think much of the growth of government that has actually happened and not just been proposed has actually been due to the support of business interests and lobbies, and even when something seems to reign in or restrict an industy, there has usually seemed to me to be something in there that benefits that same sector....

Thus, it sometimes seems to me that in politics when business interests are screaming about "big government!" they often turn out to really be screaming about "big government that doesn't benefit ME this time!"

And so even though one might look at Detroit or the banking industry or the aircraft industry as bastions of American free enterprise and a no-handout ethic, at least when it comes to keeping America from being "a welfare state", none of 'em has stepped back from taking their own bailout/handout money when hit with their own, largely self-generated, hard times....

I don't get why the dangers of big government suddenly loom large only when the proposal in question benefits the poor or the middle class... Or maybe I do...

All well said and true, Ed...except for one thing:
The emergence of our middle class was unique in American history. In terms of percentage on a time line of world history; it's a blip on the radar screen.
Along with this new economic class came large scale investment in the stock market in the names of pension funds, TDIs, 401Ks, etc. And more involvement in the way government is run.
What I'm seeing (and others would and do agree) is a very concerted and effective effort to undermine and destroy the unions and the middle class. To redistribute the wealth, back to the wealthy. The money that's been "lost" on Wall Street went somewhere. Whether it's 'fake' or not...it's being used by somebody.

We can't be competitive on the world stage because we won't work for pennies a day. Should we be working for those wages? Why? I'm not talking about making millions or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. The "average Joe" had something going during the mid to late 20th century and it's being systematically dismantled. This bothers me. I don't think these huge rip-offs of pensions and savings are a coincidence or isolated. The central figures are too close to or within the sphere of our elected officials.

Bet I get a few comments on this. I'm open to other ideas...

I live between the notes

CDBaby "Above the Surface" iTunes Store

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 11:13 AM CST

Quote by: billykirsch

I'm with (I think was) the second or third post in this thread. With all the respect and humility of a newbie, I guess the idea of a forum in a music making community is to talk about music. I'm with you in that this is a very important topic that affects everybody living in the USA, but it's not about music.

You're right.

It's also not about incessantly bashing Sarah Palin, pushing Barack Obama ad nauseam, speaking of Jesus Christ, bashing or supporting religion (Christianity, mostly), discussing evolution versus creationism, legal terms & conditions, and a multitude of many other topics that actually don't have anything directly to do do with music itself..

But you'll find it all here.

Now all we have to do is figure out how to get everyone involved to behave according to some standard that isn't even written, set or etched in stone.
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 11:22 AM CST

I don’t plan on participating in this debate for a number of personal reasons, although I do appreciate that it is taking place and that there’s been a concerted effort to either avoid or at least de-fuse acrimony. It speaks volumes for the integrity of all involved.

Having said that, I wish only to add that I have a great deal of trouble with any and all talk of wealth being “distributed” and /or “redistributed.” (But then, I reject so-called “political science” as a superstition rooted in one or another of the clashing versions of the “progress” meta-narrative---a dysfunctional myth if there ever was one.)

No wealth has ever been distributed to me apart from gifts of individuals. Wealth is either earned, managed, mis-managed, or lost. Distribution has nothing to do with it. I’m dead certain of that. I’m also certain that any individual, organization, or government institution that attempts---for any reason whatsoever---to re-distribute my or anyone else’s earned wealth is a thief and a criminal.

This is a tad off the general thrust of this Forum, I know. Please forgive me for that. But as I read the many intelligent comments posted here on both sides of the debated issue...Well, nuff said.

Take care all, and hang on tight. All indications are it’s gonna be a ridiculously rough ride.
damiengh
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 11:24 AM CST

Quote by: Rocha Malhada

Now all we have to do is figure out how to get everyone involved to behave according to some standard that isn't even written, set or etched in stone.

Yes, or we have to answer to the new sheriff in town:

KarenGuns

I know who I am and you know who you are, but who and the hell do they think they are?

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 11:32 AM CST

Quote by: Calchas
Wealth is either earned, managed, mis-managed, or lost.

or inherited, some bit of distribution there. Just sayin

jgurner
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM CST

Quote by: Rocha Malhada
[

I propose uploading a program with standards of behavior into the alien microchips that the shadow government has implanted in all of our brains.