Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
particledots
Forum Full Member

alternatives?
Saturday, May 06 2017 @ 10:11 AM CDT

It's undeniable that macjams is pretty much dead now

Has anyone been using other platforms for their music uploads as an alternative?

I am aware of

bandcamp

reverbnation

soundcloud

wikiloops

i-compositions

Are there any others?

I primarily use soundcloud these days - there is stuff I really like about it (the ease of uploading/sharing etc) and stuff I really hate about it (the spam). Haven't really used any of the others very much

Has anyone got any thoughts/comments about the different music sharing platforms - good/bad/indifferent?
kingbee
Forum Full Member

Re:alternatives?
Saturday, May 06 2017 @ 04:04 PM CDT

I'm on reverberation. got lots of friends and followers…though I think they are just networking…and haven't really listened to my stuff.
On Soundcloud. apart form 2 ' hook up with me now' messages.. zero response.
At least I know some of the people here and they leave constructive comments and they're not just saying it so I will be their friend too
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 06 2017 @ 06:44 PM CDT

I've been on the lookout for a new site for years now, and have tried all the ones you mentioned Bryn. None really appeal at all, and I don't get the impression that any of them are designed to encourage participation like MJ was.
FaceBook - my musician's page - seems to be the closest I get to the MJ experience, with occasional feedback etc, but it involves being active on FB (which I'm rapidly tiring of).
My conclusion at this stage is that I'll stick around at MJ and see if there are things here that can be done to improve the site.
A few of us have been trying to get some action on a couple of aspects of MJ which might improve the experience (ie take it back to it's peak), but generally that's been pretty difficult. Some of our concerns have been addressed, but there are still quite a few important things that need repair.
So, I'd encourage everyone to hang in there (here?) and post and comment as before. It might just make a difference!
Cheers from Oz,
Neil
FEEL
Forum Full Member

Sunday, May 07 2017 @ 09:32 AM CDT

I haven't uploaded or tried any new sites for a while. I've been out of the loop. Here's one I was curious about but haven't joined yet...

http://ourstage.com

Another site I've posted on in the past but haven't kept up with is...

http://alonetone.com

None so far has had the same effect on me as macjams

DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Sunday, May 07 2017 @ 09:48 AM CDT

Mark Holbrook came the closest to a replacement site, but he was a (mostly) one man operation. I had offered to help but life gets in the way a LOT these days.

In theory, it should be as simple as a database, PHP (or something back end API handling), and probably something fairly light for front end (angularJS, for instance).

Hell, I even have a PHP script in the works to find old MacJams songs. Legal issues aside, welcome to the internet, where everything is available potentially forever. Removed a song? Doesn't matter. Some archive site might have it.

I have plenty of ideas, but they'll probably never see the light of day.
DWL
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 10 2017 @ 02:59 PM CDT

I've been usind Soundclick for the last 10 years for hosting only.

Like Neil I'm still hanging out here in the hope Simon does do something.

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
rabittwhole
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 10 2017 @ 06:16 PM CDT

Quote by: DWL

Doofy ...... if you can find "Jamming by McLundy" Davisamerica 2007 .... deep bows Sir
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 10 2017 @ 10:06 PM CDT

Quote by: rabittwhole
Quote by: DWL

Doofy ...... if you can find "Jamming by McLundy" Davisamerica 2007 .... deep bows Sir

http://www.macjams.com/lab/music/37003.mp3
https://web.archive.org/web/20071123040653/http://www.macjams.com:80/song/37003

Alas... not there. The page is archived, but not the song file. Frown
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 10 2017 @ 10:20 PM CDT

I have literally spent the last day or so building database tables that might make sense for a site like this. Not saying I can or will do it, but was hoping to try and do something fairly simple to start, if time ever permits.

1) PHP for API handling only. Writing to the database. Reading from the database. JSON responses. Fairly simple crap.

2) AngularJS/JQuery for the front end. My PHP is better than my Angular, but I could probably wing it.

3) Music-only stuff to start. No forums.

Anyway, these are just passing thoughts. I don't have the server space or money to put up to make it a reality anyway.

VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 10 2017 @ 10:47 PM CDT

Quote by: DeputyDoofy
Mark Holbrook came the closest to a replacement site, but he was a (mostly) one man operation..

Is his site still up? He put a lot of work in it, and it looked pretty good. I posted a couple of pieces there, but there wasn't a lot happening.

Victor.

-- My CD.