Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Rik_Berryere
Forum Chatty

Frosty The MacJammer
Monday, December 01 2008 @ 07:56 AM CST

I suppose it all started with the snow. You see.... it was the kind of snow that made the happy happier, and the giddy even giddier. It was the very first snow of the season in MacJams City, and as any musician can tell you, there's a certain magic to the very first snow of the season.

"Now children," said Kristijo patiently, as her classroom of young kids watched the big white flakes filling the windows, "the snow can wait. As a special surprise for you, I've hired Professor Hinkle the musician to play some festive songs for our party." The children cheered, for MacJams City was a special place where music happened everywhere, and this was surely going to be a treat.

Now..... Professor Hinkle was just about the worst musician in the world. Taking out a ramshackle guitar, he strummed a few off-key notes... and winced as a string broke. "Nasty, nasty, nasty," he mumbled as the children groaned. Another wrong chord, and Hinkle laughed nervously. Finally, in frustration, he threw the guitar out the window. "The only thing this guitar is good for is the trash can!" At that moment, the bell rang - and the kids cheered again, in relief that Professor Hinkle's terrible performance was over - and that they could finally get out into the snow to play.

They ran outside laughing, making snow angels and catching snowflakes on their tongues as they rode toboggans. The snow was everywhere and seemed to almost sparkle in the afternoon sun. "We're making a snowman," said Little Bud, and all of the other kids quickly joined in - and before you know it, a grand snowman stood before them. "What'll we call him?" asked Little SmokeyVW, and they thought about possibilities. Should they call the snowman Echoroom? Lavalamp? Spitlogic? DJ French Toast? "I dunno," said Little Rebsie thoughtfully. "How about....... Frosty?" "Yeah," cheered Little Awigze, "that's perfect!" "Right then," laughed Little Davisamerica. "Frosty the MacJammer!"

Frosty the MacJammer! It was perfect. Thrilled that their snowman finally had a name, they began singing (this was MacJams City, remember) .... Frosty the Snowman....

Suddenly Little Drakonis saw Professor Hinkle's discarded, broken guitar lying in a snowbank. "I wonder if Frosty can play," he said, and put the guitar in the snowman's arms.

Well... something magical happened right then and right there. Before their very eyes, Frosty opened his eyes and said, "One, two, three...." and began to play. And how he played! Starting with the opening riff of Chuck Berry's Johhny B Goode, he soloed up and down the fretboard like a seasoned bluesman from the Mississippi delta. The children were stunned. "Hooray!" they sang!

Now, Frosty's playing quickly drew an appreciative crowd - a crowd that included Professor Hinkle. "That's MY guitar," he said, and grabbed it out of Frosty's arms - who instantly turned back into a snowman. "If that guitar is magic.... I want it back!"

"No," cried little Alannah, "that's not fair! You threw that guitar away!" The crowd murmoured agreement, but Professor Hinkle shook his head. "You naughty, naughty little girl," he said to Alannah. "Don't talk back to your elders!"

"But you can't take that guitar back," said little Char. "You saw it bring Frosty to life!"

Professor Hinkle turned his back on the children, looking over his shoulder slyly. "I saw... nothing of the kind......" The kids gasped, for they knew this was a lie. "You're a crummy guy," cried little Spitlogic - and at that moment, little Feter threw a snowball at the back of Professor Hinkle's head. That startled Hinkle, who dropped the magic guitar - and quickly, little Vic Holman grabbed the guitar, tuned it up and quickly put it back into Frosty's arms, who once again came back to life and began playing Hambone, by Carl Perkins.

Furious, Professor Hinkle once again reached for the guitar - but at that moment, a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer soared out of the sky and landed in front of Frosty. It was Santa Sloparts, with his bag filled with musical instruments for kids all over the world. "Nice guitar," he said, smiling approvingly, and pulling out his own guitar, he began to jam with Frosty. Cheering, everyone in MacJams City began to dance.

"Now just wait a minute!" shouted Hinkle. "I want that guitar - and I want it now!"

Everyone stopped dancing - and looked at Hinkle. "Don't you dare touch that," said Santa Sloparts, stepping between Hinkle and Frosty.

"And just what are YOU going to do about it?" demanded Hinkle, leaning towards Santa Sloparts. But the cheerful man in the red coat simply chuckled.

"Why," he said, "if you so much as lay a finger on the brim.... I'll never... EVER... bring you a Christmas present. As long as you live."

"Never?" gasped Hinkle, suddenly looking very small.

"Ever," said Santa, turning away.

"Oh..... that's not fair............" mumbled Hinkle, and kicked an empty tin can dejectedly. "I mean, we incompetent musicians need to make a living too, you know....."

"But... you don't need a magic guitar," said little Ledebutant. "You just need to practice!"

"Practice?" said Hinkle, puzzled, clearly not familiar with the concept.

"Practice," said Santa. "Now, you go home and practice playing a hundred zillion times, and maybe.......... just maybe, mind you.... there'll be a guitar pick or two under your tree tomorrow morning."

Hinkle jumped up in the air. "Excuse me, everybody - I've got to get home and start practising! Busy busy busy!!!!!!!!!" And he raced off, full of hope and dreams. Cheering, everyone began dancing as Frosty did a neckslide and ripped into some cool Santana, and everyone began to dance in the falling snow as music echoed throughout MacJams City.

Thumpity thump thump, look at Frosty play.....

-------------

December has come, and I thought I'd write this as an early present to all the wonderful MacJammers who make this place what it is. For all who didn't get mentioned, please know I'd include everyone if I could - so many great people, so many incredible tunes, so much potential for so much more to come. Here's hoping this holiday season brings happiness, laughter and peace to all who live here in MacJams City, and to all our families and friends.
elfdaughter
Forum Full Member

Re:Frosty The MacJammer
Monday, December 01 2008 @ 08:07 AM CST

Aww, that's wonderful! And such a lovely tale... *joins in the singing with Frosty*

When the stars shine bright through the engines trail, and the dust of another drops behind, when my ship is free of the open sky, it's a damn fine day to my way of mind.

Monday, December 01 2008 @ 08:19 AM CST

Great story, Rik....
Skean
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 01 2008 @ 08:51 AM CST

Quote by: Repulsive_Landlord
Great story, Rik....

I second that... Wink

I Almost Always Try to Think Positive Thoughts.
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 01 2008 @ 01:25 PM CST

That story sounds so familiar, like an ancient black-and-white TV memory from my childhood... and all those people sound familiar too... (smirk)

Very cool (punintended) story, Rik, but then from an author like you, I'd expect nothing less! Thanks for turning up the warmth around here ;-)
ttfn,
Drakonis
peacepiano
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 01 2008 @ 03:53 PM CST

Cool story. Literally!

Alannah
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 01 2008 @ 09:48 PM CST

... "You naughty, naughty little girl," he said to Alannah"...

I wonder how much thinking went into who was which character .... HAHA HAAAAAAAA (Ho Ho Ho? .... um .... no .... Ha Ha Ha).
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 01 2008 @ 10:03 PM CST

Thanks for that.

Engagingly written. You have the knack.
kristyjo
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 01 2008 @ 10:43 PM CST

Thank you Ric, for caring enough for all of us here at MJ to share your own (our own) special version of Frosty with all of us!

Actually, my 1st & 2nd graders really are singing 'Frosty' for their part of the winter concert. A story from the first grade teacher: One of the 1st graders, a more mature, bigger boy, started crying in spelling class after music class last week. He asked to go to the bathroom, so the teacher let him. He composed himself and came back to class. Later, the teacher asked him what was wrong - Had another student made fun of him? Was he having trouble with the spelling assignment??? His bottom lip began to quiver, and he finally shared what was bothering him, "It's so sad," he sobbed, "Frosty melts!"

Here's to the tender hearted children everywhere, who cry because Frosty melts, or because winter birds are hungry, or because the little tree is happy that she got chosen to go to someone's home to help them celebrate Christmas. I hope these kids never loose that sensitive side, and they will grow up to show compassion and care for their communities and the world. In the meantime, I also hope that they learn how to deal with it in a way that doesn't make them hopeless, or hurtful, or the object of teasing and ridicule.

Sorry to get so serious about a lighthearted, fun post. I guess I just had to share that.

Char
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 02 2008 @ 01:51 AM CST

Very, very nicely done, Rik! There is a real love of music, but an even greater love of sharing, here. Many of us have a lot of the child in us, still, and I doubt we will lose that which makes us sensitive to and appreciative of the joy that music brings. Bravo, storyteller. Many thanks.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. Katharine Hepburn