Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
okoklo
Forum Junior

computer crashed, lost my music
Monday, November 19 2007 @ 04:09 PM CST

So my computer just crashed and I lost everything on it, that includes all my music I'm after writing. I was woundering (this is a long shot, I know) if there is anyway possible for me to retrieve those files. It would be good because I wrote them all as MIDI so it would be difficult for me to just listen to the mp3's I have posted here and re-write them. So if there are any suggestions that would be great.
futzpucker
Forum Full Member

Re:computer crashed, lost my music
Monday, November 19 2007 @ 04:51 PM CST

There are drive recovery services available, and there's likely a very good chance that your information is recoverable.

I know of two in my area:

http://www.drivesavers.com/

http://www.rosai.com/

Drive Savers is known worldwide. I have used their services, which are quite expensive. My neighbor just had a service tech from Rosai out to his house, who told me that they can recover data just like Drive Savers can, but for much less money (he said that difference between his company and Drive Savers is that Rosai does not have a clean room; nor do they charge as much for recovery).

You could ship your drive to either of these companies and I believe they would have a very good chance of getting you your data back.

Then you buy a back-up drive that will cost a tiny fraction of the price to recover data, and use Carbon Copy Cloner, or the back up program that comes with Leopard. After paying Drive Savers a significant amount of money, I back up every day, and have for years now. My prediction: so will you. Good luck to you.

-Patrick

My CD is available here:
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 19 2007 @ 08:55 PM CST

Quote by: okoklo
So my computer just crashed and I lost everything on it, that includes all my music I'm after writing. I was woundering (this is a long shot, I know) if there is anyway possible for me to retrieve those files. It would be good because I wrote them all as MIDI so it would be difficult for me to just listen to the mp3's I have posted here and re-write them. So if there are any suggestions that would be great.

Can you start-up from an external drive... or in FW *Target Mode* from another computer? If so, you might give this software recovery program a limited trial to see if you can recover anything...

Data Recovery II

Not sure if you can recover to the same drive you're recovering from, but... maybe.

It has saved my butt on more than one occasion. Wink

--- Joe

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND

okoklo
Forum Junior

Monday, November 19 2007 @ 10:21 PM CST

Well I've reformated my pc and getting all my files back wont be a problem, (It'll just take a long time) but like I said It's my writen music. I wonder, is there a program that can take an mp3 file and turn into MIDI. (Any good ones that is, I've tried a few but they were junk).