Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for Impact
Sunday, January 22 2017 @ 09:50 PM CST

And now, on a more serious note - I thought this writer served up something both sides of our political divide would do well to consider:

by YUVAL LEVIN January 22, 2017 8:06 PM
Both our new president and some of his most vociferous opponents have spent his first weekend in office flaunting the number of people they were able to draw into the streets. Trump has insisted that the size of his inaugural crowd not be understated, and the organizers of the various anti-Trump women’s marches around the country (and the world) have sought to make a point by showing off the crowds they could attract.

This likely will not be the last time that Trump and his sharpest liberal detractors turn out to be mirror images of each other. And in this case, their common instincts about how to approach the broader public point to a problem they share: Both wish to understand themselves as intensely popular, but both are in fact distinguished by a marked lack of popularity.

Trump enters office as the least popular new president since the invention of polling. Yet he insists, and maybe he believes, that he has ridden into Washington on the back of a mass movement the likes of which America has never seen. The activist Left enters this era having managed to lose a national election to Donald Trump. Yet it behaves as though it takes itself to be the obviously rightful voice of both reason and the masses. Both seem persuaded that they would be even more popular if only they were more like what they already are.

They would both be wiser to consider how to broaden their appeal, rather than doubling down on what has limited that appeal and searching for ways to flaunt its reach. Yet both have acted in these opening days of the Trump era in ways likely to intensify the allegiance of those who are already committed and to diminish the chances of drawing more supporters.

The imperative to mind the limits of your own popularity and to try to be less off-putting and more broadly inviting and winsome ought to come naturally to anyone engaged in the public life of a democracy. Yet the instinct to make such broad appeals seems now to be in short supply. This shortage looks to be rooted at least in part in the fragmented character of our national life. And it contributes an awful lot to the tenor of our times–with the emphasis on awful.

Read more at:http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

Take a listen >>> Texas Tango
MarkHolbrook
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 23 2017 @ 12:46 AM CST

Quote by: J.A.Stewart

Let's get musical...

trolls...

where the heck to you find this stuff! That was really well done!

Wherever you go, there you are!
Philip18
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 23 2017 @ 03:13 PM CST

Quote by: particledots
Tomorrow (Jan 20 2017) is going to be the start of a very bumpy ride for the USA

Hold tight

And perhaps even bumpier for those outside the USA:

US PRESIDENT Donald Trump has killed America’s involvement in the Trans-Pacific Partnership mega free trade deal with Australia, New Zealand, Japan and eight other Pacific nations.

Trump signed an executive order on Monday to withdraw the US from the TPP.

“Everyone knows what that means, right?” Trump said at the signing ceremony in the White House. “We’ve been talking about this for a long time. It’s a great thing for the American worker.”

However it is a major blow to the Australian government, with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull holding out hope Trump might not go ahead with his TPP election promise.

Australian Trade Minster Steven Ciobo, who is in the US, said on the weekend he has been speaking with remaining TPP nations “on ways to lock in the benefits from the TPP” without US involvement.

Philip
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 23 2017 @ 07:26 PM CST

This ol’ American is just going to sit back for the next few weeks, studiously avoiding all the “end of the world as we know it™” rhetoric now being spewed by the press, and observe closely what (if anything) the man actually does.

Strange as it may seem, the Presidency has almost no civil power at all:   the Officeholder must rule by persuasion.   He is constantly surrounded by sharks who are anxious to eat him, even among “his own” party.   He can ask the Congress to do what he wills, but he cannot make them do anything at all.
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 23 2017 @ 07:59 PM CST

Quote by: MikeRobinson
This ol’ American is just going to sit back for the next few weeks, studiously avoiding all the “end of the world as we know it™” rhetoric now being spewed by the press, and observe closely what (if anything) the man actually does.

Strange as it may seem, the Presidency has almost no civil power at all:   the Officeholder must rule by persuasion.   He is constantly surrounded by sharks who are anxious to eat him, even among “his own” party.   He can ask the Congress to do what he wills, but he cannot make them do anything at all.

what congress plans to do is as scary, or more scary, than Trump himself (well ...)

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
particledots
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 23 2017 @ 10:26 PM CST

Quote by: Daugrin

Day one. Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/23/reported-putin-journalists-trump-media
particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, January 24 2017 @ 07:29 AM CST

Quote by: Daugrin

Day one. Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/fcc-to-be-led-by-ajit-pai-staunch-opponent-of-consumer-protection-rules/
particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, January 24 2017 @ 07:37 AM CST

MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, January 24 2017 @ 11:23 AM CST

Quote by: magnatone
What congress plans to do is as scary, or more scary, than Trump himself (well ...)

Congress can say that it is going to do this or that, especially during the first few days of a new Presidency, but, since we presently have no Term Limits anywhere but in the Presidency (yet!), many of these fossils have seen a great many Presidents come and go.   What they actually do, if anything at all, remains to be seen.

Even as President(!) Trump talks with business leaders and negotiates with them, he will also have to negotiate with Congress ... and with a Public that (not counting the post-campaign firebrands who just want their fifteen minutes) is both very skeptical and very determined.

To be successful, the President must persuade.   Nothing else will do.   He will be faced with the Members of Congress – they are mostly all still there, having completed “elections” in which they once again faced no opposition – who implemented these things in the first place.   He will also be facing the “silent majority” of People.

This “silent majority” consists of people who are not vocal either for or against him, but who are keenly aware.   Sound-bites and factoids don’t persuade them nor dissuade them.   They think.   If engaged to debate, they will participate intelligently and thoughtfully.   Whether they voted for you or for someone else, they accept you in your Role and now require that you perform it.   They are exactly the segment of the People that you most need to have on your side, but you can only get what you need by excellent planning and Leadership.   Polls, I suspect, do not even know that they exist.

ktb
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, January 24 2017 @ 04:33 PM CST

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for yer help Mr. Ed. Those other folks didn't help, but you came to the rescue with the daily talking points. All those protests in all those wonderful places, you say that's not reported on Breitbart? And that they lie at Breitbart anyway. What is Breitbart? CNN without being called out by Nancy Sinatra?

Where were there no protests my friend? So by taking yer advise, and asking a search engine, like Google, and reading about protests, the real impact of what is happening can be felt. (Sigh.) Delusion.

Sir, whether ya insult me or not, the idea protests against Trump are impacts, whether they are real, or astro turf is silly. Yer talking about political theatre, for the consumption of the true believer's, nothing more.

Perhaps more telling, Pelosi suggests she will model her religious faith for the people in flyover, to correct the unfortunate attitude of those Deplorable people. I would suggest that single comment by Pelosi is more telling than any protest reported anywhere and in the end will have far more impact.

I stopped watching television in '77, when I noticed it was watching me. That is my advise to you Sir.

People should avoid media outlets that lie! That sounds like sage advise Sir. Which MSM outlet would you recommend? Which MSM outlet does not lie, or a better question for you, which media outlet is not agenda driven? Which one is not owned by major corporations?
Which MSM outlet has demonstrated unwavering truth telling? I can answer that one before you can Google. None. Turn them off. There is no left or right. There is only above and below. Google that one my friend.

Enjoy yer theatre. Maybe you could Google how many people have been killed or injured? Google how much property has been destroyed? Violent protest against Trump? Or pap for the too suddenly disenfranchised true believers? Maybe a MSNBC poll will help, I bet you could Google that too. Have fun Ed. Keep hating...

Daug [/QUOTE]

Ah yes, here we hear from our own troll utility. Guised in the fallacy of big sock puppet oratory. Only you are too timid to hear the true impact of your delusion.
A question then, who wielded control of your mind until only "non believers" remain?

Perhaps you haven't educated yourself? Have you lost the sentient talking points that might elucidate? I would suggest that you free your mind of the burden of the disenfranchised reason.

Begin to see the true cause of your enigma. My TV watchs me too. Only I have transcended the lateral obligation of sentence construction and making sense. This is what frees me to condescend with impunity, alas as the reader is still spouting nose milk as they roll on the floor, asking themselves the eternal calumniatory question:

"who the fuck talks like that in real life"?