Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for Impact
Friday, July 07 2017 @ 05:58 PM CDT

Quote by: MikeRobinson
Senator McCain is a very, very dangerous war-hawk.

An ad hominem against McCain doesn't change the facts. The point is that McCain is Chair of the Armed Services Committee and a member of the Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs. He knows what the evidence against Russia is and publicly acknowledges their actions, as does the Office of the Director of National Security and Department of Homeland Security.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_United_States_elections

Once again, I'm not at all persuaded that they could have “influenced the election,” let alone from half-a-planet away.   Like any nation, they are always engaged in espionage.   But the USA is a damned big place, comprised of fifty states all of whom self-manage their election process.   Good luck “influencing” that from Moscow.

Not "could have." Did. Established, evidentiary fact.

The ongoing investigation is not about whether Russia engaged in a wide-ranging cyberwarfare and influence campaign, but whether any Americans coluded with them.

When I said that the results were “resounding,” I am simply looking at the election results map.   That thing is a sea of red.   The People did what they did ... did something that had never been done before in the entire history of our Republic ... and they did it on purpose.

This was not a “hack.”   Neither was this the result of outside international-or-otherwise influence.   This was a conscious decision.

More people voted against Trump than voted for him. Will you acknowledge that?

It doesn't mean the election was illegitimate, nor is there any evidence whatsoever that the vote totals are not correct, but that does not make for a "resounding" victory.

All of which is BESIDE THE POINT.

Trump is President. How are his actual actions in office bringing about the change you had hoped for as opposed to accomplishing exactly the opposite at every opportunity? This isn't a hypothetical question.

By the way, Walter Shaub, the director of the Office of Government Ethics, quit this week.

“There isn’t much more I could accomplish at the Office of Government Ethics, given the current situation,” Mr. Shaub said in an interview on Thursday. “O.G.E.’s recent experiences have made it clear that the ethics program needs to be strengthened.”

Shaub has clashed with the Trump White House on a number of ethics issues over the past six months, even remarking in May that their uncooperativeness over publicly disclosing ethics waivers granted to former lobbyists was “an extraordinary thing. I have never seen anything like it.”

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
particledots
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 08 2017 @ 12:00 PM CDT

Quote by: Daugrin

Day one. Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/07/cable-tv-companies-can-charge-higher-prices-thanks-to-new-court-ruling/?comments=1
particledots
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 09 2017 @ 09:36 AM CDT

Day one. Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

particledots
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 09 2017 @ 11:02 AM CDT

Daug

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world-0/us-politics/trump-putin-press-journalists-meeting-russia-president-points-which-ones-insulting-you-a7830046.html
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 09 2017 @ 04:01 PM CDT

Quote by: particledots

Daug

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world-0/us-politics/trump-putin-press-journalists-meeting-russia-president-points-which-ones-insulting-you-a7830046.html

Wow.

Buddies.

Terrible about that free press...

Thanks for posting this, Bryn...

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 10 2017 @ 01:30 PM CDT

Quote by: chikoppi

Not "could have." Did. Established, evidentiary fact.

So, at this point, there are two options:
  • Madame Presidente.™   Say, the Supreme Court “rules” that Donald Trump is not and was never the Legitimate President of the United States, and retroactively awards the White House to Madame Presidente.   And I am quite confident that this would be regarded as a “palace coup” and that what happened next would likely be extremely ugly.
  • How Did This Happen?   I submit that the true root-cause here is, simply, “paperless voting machines,” which have also caused problems and now lawsuits in the also-contested Senatorial run-off in the state of Georgia.   Of course a foreign State might have an interest in the outcome of an election ... just ask Columbia, or the brand-new country of Panama that was carved out of it.   But the election process should be secure and auditable.   The paperless processes are not.
More to the point, our present “high-profile hearings into the matter” seem (to me) to be ignoring the second bullet-point in homage to dreams of the first.   As our present paperless systems are now constructed, anyone, including a two-bit programmer, could have “stuffed the ballot box” and could have done so without being detected(!).

Fortunately, throughout most of the country in the 2016 Presidential Election, the methods used were still “old-fashioned.”   In the State of Georgia, judges will be forced to “decide” the matter without an objectively auditable(!) data-base from which to draw.

The 2016 results, entirely-unconventional though they were, are legitimate.   But the very fact that charges of election-tampering could possibly be entertained, let alone from half-a-planet away, are IMHO the very real story.   How was this possible?   And, how to we safeguard our future practices so as to be immune to it ... or even, to the suggestion of it?
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 10 2017 @ 02:07 PM CDT

So, at this point, there are two options:

I'd suggest a third option, which is to watch him and his cast of rapacious pirates like a hawk, to not let their actions go unchallenged, and to hold them strictly accountable.

Yes, we need to buttress our election systems. However, limiting foreign meddling also means combatting disinformation campaigns and distinguishing fact from fiction spread on Facebook and elsewhere. That's a much more daunting task.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
davisamerica
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 10 2017 @ 05:15 PM CDT

..... One of the most in depth threads in the past 10 years I have been at MJ about America ...... and written by a Brit. Thank you Bryn.

I have finally figured this out but now I have forgotten what to use it for.
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 10 2017 @ 07:42 PM CDT

Quote by: davisamerica
..... One of the most in depth threads in the past 10 years I have been at MJ about America ...... and written by a Brit. Thank you Bryn.

I was just thinking this same thing...

Thank you, Bryn...

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn

ktb
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 04:05 PM CDT

Quote by: chikoppi
combatting disinformation campaigns and distinguishing fact from fiction spread on Facebook and elsewhere. That's a much more daunting task.

This more than anything else the russians did was the prime reason a lot of people voted for FFVCS. It blows my mind what people hold to be truths. Although not russian, internet troll Mike Cernovich comes to mind. If he doesn't make your skin crawl, nothing will.

I don't know the exact law, but in Germany you can go to jail for hate speech and propogating hate BS. Could use that here.