Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Char
Forum Full Member

Re:The Last Hurrah
Monday, July 10 2017 @ 03:29 AM CDT

Oh. Congrats, Rik. Thank you for our great animated movies. Yeah. The place is like a ghost town. Too bad.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. Katharine Hepburn
mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 10 2017 @ 08:29 AM CDT

Char... your idea is a good one. It really shouldn't simply be ignored to blow away like a recipe for butter tarts written on the back of a gas station receipt. (Always with the butter tarts, boy... Smile ) But MJ being what it is, it looks like that's pretty much what will happen.

So.

The choice now is what to do? If a tiny handful of people are the only ones interested, is that enough to make it happen? Certainly having a few dozen onboard would send this thing down the launch ramp at 88mph, but there are pluses and minuses to that too. A project of some scope has two primary movers - the idea crew and the creation crew. Not enough of either and the boat stays in drydock, looking lost and forgotten. But how many of either can make it move? And could it be a case of getting it moving and having more join enrollee as it gathers momentum? And even if nobody comes on board, could it still be made to happen? Perhaps.

Here's an idea that crossed my mind while building a retaining wall today (a project involving 8-foot railroad ties. Ugh!). Ready?

Once upon a time, there was a city filled with people who did nothing but argue with each other. All the radio stations, all the TV stations... nothing but arguments about every thing that could be argued about. From the important to the trivial, from the media to the hot dog cart, nothing but arguments. It's all everyone knew how to do.

But had it always been that way? One day, while looking through the library at one of the radio stations for some material for a political talk show about political talk shows ( Smile ) an intern finds a file marked 'music'. Curious, she discovers that, once long ago, their station used to play music. She tells the manager, who scoffs at the concept. 'People don't want music anymore! They want to argue and debate! They want to rant and rave and hate!' Discouraged, she sighs, and puts the file away.

Going home, she looks sadly at the various groups of people standing around on the street, arguing. But then she notices, in an alley being ignored by everyone... a single musician, dejectedly sitting with his guitar. She walks up to him, and asks him to play something. He looks surprised, but begins to play. After he finishes, she looks around and notices that one other person is standing beside her. 'That was nice,' said the person wistfully. 'I used to play a little piano back in the day...' and walks away.

The guitarist smiles. 'For a moment there,' he says, 'it felt a little like the old days, just a tiny bit.' And he walks away.

The woman goes home, thinking about what had just happened. Next day, she again asks her manager about playing music, and he again scoffs at her. 'People don't want music - have you lost your mind? They want opinions and opinions all defined and redefined! You're getting on my nerves and my brains's about to throb! You mention this again and - read my lips - you'll lose your job!' She nods nervously, and quickly goes back to the library to gather material for a political debate show about political debate shows. Smile

But she finds the file about music again. And this time, she takes it home with her, and late into the night, learns about the station's wonderful history with music. And the next day, she goes to her manager with an idea.

'imagine this,' she says, 'close your eyes and think a thought - a debate about music, what it is and what it's not. An argument about song, what it means and where it goes. A debate to end debates, of music's highs and current lows.' The manager frowns... but pauses. 'Perhaps...' he mutters.

She goes out to find the guitarist. She sees him in the alley, and quickly, excitedly, tells him to go find all the musicians he knows and bring them to the station tomorrow. He is bewildered, but she presses on. 'Tomorrow at the station!'

The next day a small but diverse group of musicians arrive at the station. She brings them into the control room, and the manager smiles - the very different musicians promises a lively and heated argument. But when the show begins, the intern says to the group just one word..... 'play'.

And the musicians begin to play.

She holds her breath. This is music's last hurrah. But as the song broadcasts throughout the city, people begin to listen. Puzzled at first, and then... smiling, they begin to join in with the music. By the end of the song, the city is cheering and calling for more.

Postscript: the intern becomes the new station manager. And the old manager becomes a roadie for the musicians.

I've got an instrumental piece of music that I'd recorded some time ago that I'd be happy to throw in here. And maybe, if not enough MJers are interested, perhaps musicians outside of MJ might be. I might know a few who could be interested..........
Char
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 10 2017 @ 11:03 AM CDT

IDEA by Mr. Mordenus:

Once upon a time, there was a city filled with people who did nothing but argue with each other. All the radio stations, all the TV stations... nothing but arguments about every thing that could be argued about. From the important to the trivial, from the media to the hot dog cart, nothing but arguments. It's all everyone knew how to do.

But had it always been that way? One day, while looking through the library at one of the radio stations for some material for a political talk show about political talk shows ( Smile ) an intern finds a file marked 'music'. Curious, she discovers that, once long ago, their station used to play music. She tells the manager, who scoffs at the concept. 'People don't want music anymore! They want to argue and debate! They want to rant and rave and hate!' Discouraged, she sighs, and puts the file away.

Going home, she looks sadly at the various groups of people standing around on the street, arguing. But then she notices, in an alley being ignored by everyone... a single musician, dejectedly sitting with his guitar. She walks up to him, and asks him to play something. He looks surprised, but begins to play. After he finishes, she looks around and notices that one other person is standing beside her. 'That was nice,' said the person wistfully. 'I used to play a little piano back in the day...' and walks away.

The guitarist smiles. 'For a moment there,' he says, 'it felt a little like the old days, just a tiny bit.' And he walks away.

The woman goes home, thinking about what had just happened. Next day, she again asks her manager about playing music, and he again scoffs at her. 'People don't want music - have you lost your mind? They want opinions and opinions all defined and redefined! You're getting on my nerves and my brains's about to throb! You mention this again and - read my lips - you'll lose your job!' She nods nervously, and quickly goes back to the library to gather material for a political debate show about political debate shows. Smile

But she finds the file about music again. And this time, she takes it home with her, and late into the night, learns about the station's wonderful history with music. And the next day, she goes to her manager with an idea.

'imagine this,' she says, 'close your eyes and think a thought - a debate about music, what it is and what it's not. An argument about song, what it means and where it goes. A debate to end debates, of music's highs and current lows.' The manager frowns... but pauses. 'Perhaps...' he mutters.

She goes out to find the guitarist. She sees him in the alley, and quickly, excitedly, tells him to go find all the musicians he knows and bring them to the station tomorrow. He is bewildered, but she presses on. 'Tomorrow at the station!'

The next day a small but diverse group of musicians arrive at the station. She brings them into the control room, and the manager smiles - the very different musicians promises a lively and heated argument. But when the show begins, the intern says to the group just one word..... 'play'.

And the musicians begin to play.

She holds her breath. This is music's last hurrah. But as the song broadcasts throughout the city, people begin to listen. Puzzled at first, and then... smiling, they begin to join in with the music. By the end of the song, the city is cheering and calling for more.

Postscript: the intern becomes the new station manager. And the old manager becomes a roadie for the musicians.

I've got an instrumental piece of music that I'd recorded some time ago that I'd be happy to throw in here. And maybe, if not enough MJers are interested, perhaps musicians outside of MJ might be. I might know a few who could be interested..........

This idea is wowzers, Rik. And it could be the dystopian society Chikoppi suggested.
It also reminds me of a story that Wayne Dyer wrote and a story that Kurt Vonnegut wrote.
I could, possibly, for a short time, leave up a post of (an excerpt, only) the reading of Vonnegut's story. ( A musician hides the fact that he's a musician because he believes it is an unseemly way to spend your life.)

I have ideas for lyrics. Anyone, who wants to, can offer their singing talent. I sure don't need to be the singer. There are tons of better singers here.

All of life's trials and all of humanity's progress have been immortalized in music and song..which is poetry, fancied up prose, set to music.

We (Well, I certainly do.) use our experience as inspiration. We connect with each other because so much of life mirrors that experience of others. We are not alone with our feelings and we can can understand why we do what we do.
Some music lifts our spirit when we need it the most because it transports us past the current wall we are trying to build, climb or knock down.

I'll do anything, Rik. Oldtimers and Newbies:
Won't you come to the party?
With 6, we get egg roll.
The door is open.
Welcome.

And now, we see. Thanks peeps.
Love yas,
Charlene

davisamerica
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, July 12 2017 @ 06:35 PM CDT

OK Char ... something to start with maybe .....

I have finally figured this out but now I have forgotten what to use it for.
davisamerica
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, July 12 2017 @ 06:35 PM CDT

OK Char ... something to start with maybe .....

Char
Forum Full Member

Thursday, July 13 2017 @ 04:36 AM CDT

I like it.
I roped you in, huh?
Lol.

mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 17 2017 @ 05:51 PM CDT

Hiya Char. Sorry I've been so far off radar but I've just been buried in work lately. (Gotta be up at midnight so I'm hurrying along here!)

Two pieces of music are up for your project... if they work for you feel free to collab with whoever to work them into the Last Hurrah if you like. They're both instrumentals - one dating back to 1984!

I Want To Know (Working Title?)

If That's All They Want (Working Title?)

davisamerica
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 17 2017 @ 06:53 PM CDT

Me too!

Char
Forum Full Member

Thursday, July 20 2017 @ 09:24 PM CDT

Ooh, yes! I can't do much. Here's hoping this goes all the way. You guys are terrific. <3

BigFinish
Forum Chatty

Saturday, July 22 2017 @ 05:59 PM CDT

There is a simple pathway here ...... well .... I have kinda been here before. If you have ANY interest.... say so. 🎶