Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Char
Forum Full Member

The Last Hurrah
Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 11:09 PM CDT

Pretty please, consider coming together, one more time... to work as cast and crew in a second rock opera.
Let's celebrate us. We're old but we ain't dead yet. Newer members, feel welcome to lend us your talents, as well.

We need: your support,
your music, your voice. We, as yet, have no story but the working title is The Last Hurrah.
Have an idea? Then, add your comment in this thread. If you don't like what I'm proposing. . please step aside.
I learned a very long time ago that I can't please everybody. You may contact, via burnie mail:

Andrew Denning, Maxruehl
Jack Hemby, Davisamerica
and, of course...me, Charlene Kankiewicz, Char

As usual, I don't know what I'm doing. Be kind and lend a hand. It might be fun.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. Katharine Hepburn
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:The Last Hurrah
Wednesday, June 21 2017 @ 08:30 AM CDT

You mean like a crowd sourced musical?

You might kick it off with a setting (post-apocalypse city ruins, 70s hippie commune in Arizona, etc.) and/or a plot device (an unlikely marriage, overthrow of a tyrant, save the ski resort from developers, etc.). Contributors could then suggest characters and how they relate to the plot.

Sorry if I'm not grokking your intent!

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
Char
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 21 2017 @ 10:24 AM CDT

No..you are grokking in fine form.
We aren't necessarily ...going to change the world with whatever this becomes. I only hope we make something worthwhile that all of us can be proud of. So, Chikoppi has idea #1...!

Char
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 21 2017 @ 10:35 AM CDT

At 7 AM, I thought we could do an expose..of the life, the times and the downfall..of a once promising music group. Remember the Chickmonks? It no longer feels like s lighhearted chickmonk world, however. I sure hope we get some ideas. Maybe, we smash two ideas together? Vonnegut wrote about a mild mannered guy who become a fueled jazz demon at night in a sleazy club.. Ok. It is still early. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 21 2017 @ 12:51 PM CDT

Quote by: Char
At 7 AM, I thought we could do an expose..of the life, the times and the downfall..of a once promising music group. Remember the Chickmonks?

You could also do an audio version of a faux "Behind the Music" episode, with songs (including song snippets and faked concert audio) interspersed with silly narratives about the trials and tribulations of the band.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
jgurner
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 21 2017 @ 04:15 PM CDT

I don't have any ideas (I'll keep pondering it though), but I'd be happy to throw in my voice, my music or whatever else I can to help out.
Char
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 21 2017 @ 06:53 PM CDT

Quote by: chikoppi
Quote by: Char
At 7 AM, I thought we could do an expose..of the life, the times and the downfall..of a once promising music group. Remember the Chickmonks?

You could also do an audio version of a faux "Behind the Music" episode, with songs (including song snippets and faked concert audio) interspersed with silly narratives about the trials and tribulations of the band.

Char
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 21 2017 @ 07:07 PM CDT

Come on, people. Have an idea or a song in the hopper you'd like to feature.
Twilight zone like story: Nerd, wanna be finds a closet full of cd's but no cd player.
Remember the books in the library, but the glasses broke...?

mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Saturday, June 24 2017 @ 07:39 PM CDT

Hi Char,

Back in the varied days gone past I had a few ideas go past, then play around in the offstage area of my mind before being laid aside due to reasons too numerous (and mostly mundane and familiar to all) to relate here. I'll toss them in here and perhaps they might spark other ideas, inspire something more, or whatever. Creative ideas are like seeds from an unknown packet - maybe you think you know what they might be, but maybe you might be mightily surprised.

First, there was the MacJams city sequel. The first MJ City was a vehicle to blend a lot of MJ music, people and personnae into, well, you all know. What few know was that there was a sequel being considered - and a sort of 'back door pilot' was written into the opening of Episode 3. Specifically, Mayor Alimar had a secret group of musical adventurers wandering the landscape searching for those who were pirating Macjammers music for evil intent. One such team was Ledebutant and Michael Jay Klein in pursuit of the pirate Captain Greenbeard and his Menacing Horde. (Who really weren't all that menacing, really - they were just a bunch of softies.) The concept never went beyond that opening sketch - mostly because taking on a project of that magnitude again was something I didn't really feel up to.

So of course, I then went on to Western Space Odyssey, which was even more of a monster. Just goes to tell you how often I take my own advice. Smile

Another MJ idea was actually inspired by you - or, to be more accurate, outright suggested by you. I had just posted my remake of Tobin Mueller's You Can't Touch This as a Phantom Of The Opera variation. You had suggested that it sounded like it could be from a series of songs, and that set me off thinking about a Phantom Of MacJams concept. I even partially wrote the framework of a second song for the idea, and wondered if others might be willing to bring their efforts to the fore. This idea also sat in the back shadows long enough to never really come together.

As far as my own contributions to The Last Hurrah... I would be willing to join in, although I don't really know what I might add to the mix. Right now Western Space Odyssey is full-speed ahead and chewing up most of my free creative time (of which there is so little, sigh) but MacJams has a special place in my heart and inspires a surprise or two out of me even now. I was absolutely certain I wouldn't have the time or ability to contribute anything worthwhile to Chikoppi's Schubert Challenge... but I put my hat in regardless. I'd always find some time to support a creative project by Chikoppi (although whether my contribution was worthy is another debate entirely! Smile ) and if I can contribute something musical to your idea I will absolutely try. And if any of the 'lost ideas' I'd mentioned can be incorporated in yours, by all means help yourself.

What can I do?

Char
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 25 2017 @ 07:07 AM CDT

Oh, yes, yes, yes..please. I love the phantom idea but I can see the other idea working, as well ...and it is certainly more unique. I would be able to farm out technical upkeep on anything you could drop on us. You would get final say. So, for instance, someone could mix your music with someone else's lyrics. And we'd be sure to follow your instructions. So, youwouldn't have to do anything additional.
I have someone here I call nasty names..in my sleep. That would be Captain Greenbeard, for sure. He..not mentioning who it is...said of another, very gifted musician: "He only sounds good when I mix him". The height of arrogance, in my opinion. I never told the person in question about that. The two of them seemed to get along...mostly because the brilliant guy was just a sweetheart and didn't recognize the other's creepiness.
I did some stuff for the aforementioned jerk and he wrote to me; " I made you sound younger and more appealing".... Well, I don't why I was sensitive about that..I think I sound ageless and not like Granny from the Beverly hillbillies. Anyway, we have a few real villains here. I am opinionated and it might be fun to tackle some animosities without starting a range war. (The jerk has no idea he's a jerk.)... As with all jerks, I imagine. My ex, of 38 years of hellish marriage was the epitome of a jerk extravaganza, so I think I am qualified to judge. I will not mention any names. But, Mr. JERK, you know who you are, you will never change and I am sure you could care less about what I believe about you. Rick. we have a villain and so, I like art imitating life. And, Rick, I would owe you the moon and the stars for anything you could do. Love you that much, my dear friend. (I am not sorry for venting. I am old and I am entitled not to suffer fools lightly.
Ta-da.
Charlene

People, it was pure joy to work on Jack Hemby's "Big Finish". ...We have this chance to do that once again. Before what's left of macjams fades away, ...can we try? I Think I can!
Smile