Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
bronco
Forum Full Member

USB Mic
Wednesday, July 12 2017 @ 09:13 PM CDT

Just in case some of you were thinking about buying a USB mic that plugs directly into your computer. Seems they are worthless for overdubbing because there is a terrible latency inherit going through the USB port. The only kind that might work out are the higher priced ones that have a headphone input directly into the mic. Mine works great for one track but not more than that.
bud
Forum Full Member

Re:USB Mic
Wednesday, July 12 2017 @ 11:48 PM CDT

The USB I use - Samson CO1U - came with a driver I installed on my Mac. No latency issue. The Snowball mics have no latency issues that I'm aware of. Issues can arise using older operating systems - and slower USB ports.
What kind of mic do you have?

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
bronco
Forum Full Member

Friday, July 14 2017 @ 01:37 PM CDT

It's a CAD U37. As I pointed out in my song post it is a very cheap $37 mic. I have a Snowball also and while the latency isn't as bad, it is still there. I didn't realize until I read an article on the web that this is to be expected with all direct USB mics. I also could never get the kind of vocal sound I was looking for with the Snowball. I love the sound I get off of the CAD, I just can't use it to overdub a guitar solo.

I am using an iMac that is a year old with El Capitan operating system and 8 GB of ram. Are you running your mic through some kind of box before plugging into your computer? I know there are solutions for this but they all cost money. I suppose I can use the built in mic for overdub and just stand in an awkward position to get the guitar near the mic.
bronco
Forum Full Member

Talk about latency, It didn't acknowledge accepting my post so I hit it again. Stupid me.
bronco
Forum Full Member

It's a CAD U37. As I pointed out in my song post it is a very cheap $37 mic. I have a Snowball also and while the latency isn't as bad, it is still there. I didn't realize until I read an article on the web that this is to be expected with all direct USB mics. I also could never get the kind of vocal sound I was looking for with the Snowball. I love the sound I get off of the CAD, I just can't use it to overdub a guitar solo.

I am using an iMac that is a year old with El Capitan operating system and 8 GB of ram. Are you running your mic through some kind of box before plugging into your computer? I know there are solutions for this but they all cost money. I suppose I can use the built in mic for overdub and just stand in an awkward position to get the guitar near the mic.
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Friday, July 14 2017 @ 05:16 PM CDT

Quote by: bronco

Bronco, you could use one of these, which isn't a lot of money and will support almost any condenser or dynamic mic and has a zero latency option for recording:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC22

Not a lot of money, and well reviewed...There are obviously other, more expensive, options, but this should work fine with the iMac...

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
bronco
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 01:18 AM CDT

Thanks for the tip and reference Ed. I used to have something similar and ran the old Shure, what was it 54 , something like mic through it. Nobody on Macjams seemed to like the sound I got with it. Now that I have found a mic with a tone I like I was hoping I could use it for everything without changing out the setup.

What I would need is a box with a USB input as well as an USB output. To use something like this Behringer, I would need a mic adapter with a female USB slot to plug the mic in and then a standard SLR connection on the other. Or I would need to use another non USB mic.

I will figure something out but haven't decided what yet. You are right that the price was nice though and it seems to be a fine piece of equipment.
FEEL
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 11:28 AM CDT

What music program are you using? I use to have latency problems with Logic Pro, there's a button at the bottom of the window, "Low Latency Mode" that turns off major effect plug-ins which take a lot of processor power, that will usually eradicate the latency issues. After recording your audio you can turn it off.
XMaramena
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 04:39 PM CDT

Not sure what you're using, but for video lessons, I made an aggregate sound device which combines a USB Blue Yeti, with the Stereo 1-2 Output from my Focusrite. There's no latency difference between the two. If there is, it's within 2ms.

bronco
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 17 2017 @ 11:00 PM CDT

Quote by: FEEL
What music program are you using? I use to have latency problems with Logic Pro, there's a button at the bottom of the window, "Low Latency Mode" that turns off major effect plug-ins which take a lot of processor power, that will usually eradicate the latency issues. After recording your audio you can turn it off.

I am just using GB 10.2.2. I haven't found a button or menu command that does what you say. But in re-reading this I think I recall somewhere that you can turn off all plug ins so I will give that a try. Thanks John.