Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
jgurner
Forum Full Member

Mixing Acoustic Guitar
Friday, October 26 2018 @ 01:39 PM CDT

Need some help with mixing acoustic guitar in Logic. The acoustic comes out very "tinny" sounding. I've tried the few different things I know to do, which is basically just playing with the preset EQ settings.

My recording set-up isn't ideal and, unfortunately, it's probably not going to change in the foreseeable future. I'm recording my relatively cheap acoustic through my vocal mic (which is pretty decent), so maybe there's nothing really I can do. But, hopefully there's a magic "make cheap acoustic guitars sound great" setting in Logic I just haven't found yet.

Any just basic advice about what plug-ins and settings to use would be a great help. I would love to record the acoustic more, but I need to get it to sound just a smidge better.
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:Mixing Acoustic Guitar
Friday, October 26 2018 @ 02:26 PM CDT

An easy trick would be to double the track and add a soft low-pass filter to the copy. You'll end up with booted lows. You could also try adding an overdrive to the copy (with the low-pass filer dialed down) to lift some of the low frequency harmonics out.

Just be sure to route both tracks together to a bus before compression.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
jgurner
Forum Full Member

Friday, October 26 2018 @ 03:11 PM CDT

Quote by: chikoppi
An easy trick would be to double the track and add a soft low-pass filter to the copy. You'll end up with booted lows. You could also try adding an overdrive to the copy (with the low-pass filer dialed down) to lift some of the low frequency harmonics out.

Just be sure to route both tracks together to a bus before compression.

Thanks.

I'll start monkeying around with your suggestions this weekend. I'm still not quite up to snuff on using busses and such, but I am learning. Even with all the high tech, my recording and mixing technique is still pretty primitive.
bronco
Forum Full Member

Friday, October 26 2018 @ 03:40 PM CDT

I know nothing about Logic but compression can even out the volume of different strings and give it a fuller sound.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Friday, October 26 2018 @ 04:54 PM CDT

maybe try to make a copy of the track, and then pitch-shift it down an octave. after some EQ, mix that in with your original track
billdancourtney
Forum Junior

Friday, October 26 2018 @ 11:02 PM CDT

Although this usually considered a big NO in forums for recording acoustic at home I began to have luck by recording direct in to my interface. I tried both the built in pick in my acoustic and one I bought and placed in the hole under the strings. I set up two tracks and recorded into both at a low volume on my DAW then boosted them up later. I addded EQ and mild compression on both tracks but on one I added some reverb and or delay. I strongly suggest recording at a low volume then increasing later.

While it still never sounded like the Eagles I saved lots of time and energy and it got a little better. I use a condenser microphone and still had so many problems. Like you said, it sounded tinny and at times boomy. So many problems come into play. The quality of your guitar and mic and even the room you are in. I have a small room with lots of hard surfaces. As well my mic would pick up outside noise like kids and cars. I can never really get what I want to be honest. I can’t afford a Martin or a Taylor guitar and three high end mics placed all over the body and neck. But the DI approach, while not perfect, was more doable.

Best of luck. I

Most of the time I like music a lot, but other times it can really annoy me too.
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Saturday, October 27 2018 @ 02:22 PM CDT

Another very Eagles-ish trick is to double the acoustic with a clean electric guitar, EQ'd and compressed to taste and blended with the acoustic to get either the warmth or the sparkle you're going for. The acoustic carries the tonal signature of the track, and the electric evens things out and fills in the tonal gaps.

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
pablatone
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 28 2018 @ 05:38 PM CDT

You might be able to get a fuller sound by taking advantage of the "proximity effect" of your mic. Try placing it about 3" from the 14th or 16th fret. If you put it too close to the sound hole it get too boomy real fast so be careful with that.

who the...? what the...?
kingbee
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, October 30 2018 @ 08:29 AM CDT

Most people use 2 mic set up one close to the neck and one close to the sound hole which picks up the different tones
While we're on tips a read a suggestion to record the chords you're playing and then put a capo on say the 4th fret and play the sequence
So an non capo open E chord would be a C if you had the capo on a 5th
This will offer an array of notes that you won't find and possibly make it sounds like a 12 string

jgurner
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, October 30 2018 @ 09:34 AM CDT

Lots of cool things to try. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Now, if I could just get enough free time to try out some of this.

Soon, I hope. Life should slow down in about a week. (Best laid plans...)