Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Trail Of Tears
Monday, April 30 2018 @ 04:07 PM CDT

Composer's Notes
One of the tragedies of human history is the forced removal of peoples from their homeland for political, economic, racial, religious, or cultural reasons. In America, the forced removal of all Native Americans living east of the Mississippi River began with the passage of President Andrew Jackson’s Indian Removal Act of 1830. In 1838, 15,000 Cherokee men, women, and children were forcibly taken from their homes by the U.S. Army and placed in stockades and camps in Tennessee. From November 1838 to March 1839, the Cherokee, with scant clothing and many without shoes, were forced to make a 800-mile march for relocation in Oklahoma during the bitter cold of winter. Suffering from exposure, disease, and starvation, nearly 4,000 Cherokee died during the five-month march known as the “Trail of Tears.”

My flute concerto is a musical journey into how the human spirit discovers ways to deal with upheaval, adversity and adapting to a new environment. The first two movements of the concerto are played without pause. The first movement reflects on meaningful memories of things past, inspired by a quotation from the Native American leader Geronimo (1829–1909): “I was born on the prairies where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun.” The end of the first movement becomes a death march, marked “Trail of Tears,” and concludes with a turbulent instrumental coda. The reflective second movement, entitled “incantation,” meditates on the passing of loved ones and the hope for a better life in the world beyond. The third and final movement, “sun dance,” evokes the most spectacular and important religious dance ceremony of the Plains Indians of 19th-century North America. Banned on Indian reservations for a century by the U.S. government, the dance is practiced again today. I have composed my own fiery musical dance to suggest how reconnecting with rituals of the past might create a path to a new and brighter future.

— Michael Daugherty

https://www.boosey.com/cr/music/Michael-Daugherty-Trail-of-Tears/53561
billdancourtney
Forum Junior

Re:Trail Of Tears
Friday, May 04 2018 @ 01:29 AM CDT

Uh, so this is another musical opus about how evil the US government is then? Guess I'll pass.

Most of the time I like music a lot, but other times it can really annoy me too.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Friday, May 04 2018 @ 04:25 PM CDT

i enjoyed the music and wanted to share it

i found a description of the composer's ideas and posted it

what you do with the information is your personal business

and, honestly, i don't care what you think about it politically

it's about the music
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Friday, May 04 2018 @ 08:36 PM CDT

"Smokey, 'to each his own.'   Freedom-of-speech and all of that."   Without now passing judgment upon any of the foregoing, “thank you for sharing this music.”

And, very definitely, the composer’s thoughts for having presented it to the world.
bronco
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 09 2018 @ 04:51 PM CDT

Quote by: billdancourtney
Uh, so this is another musical opus about how evil the US government is then? Guess I'll pass.

Do you think the "Trail of Tears " was not evil? Have you read anything about it? Sticking your head in the sand and avoiding reality does not make it go away. The Cherokee's were a civilized people who lived in peace with their neighbors. The only reason they were forced off their land was greed of those in power who wanted the valuable acreage for themselves.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 09 2018 @ 05:19 PM CDT

i meant this to be a music post. nothing more

good god, does everything have to be politicized these days?

give me a fucking break

Damroze
Forum Regular Poster

Wednesday, May 23 2018 @ 05:50 PM CDT

Quote by: bronco
Quote by: billdancourtney

Do you think the "Trail of Tears " was not evil? Have you read anything about it? Sticking your head in the sand and avoiding reality does not make it go away. The Cherokee's were a civilized people who lived in peace with their neighbors. The only reason they were forced off their land was greed of those in power who wanted the valuable acreage for themselves.

Not to in anyway diminish the suffering of those involved, a full picture should mention that the Cherokee owned African slaves who accompanied them on the trail and also, many fought on the side of the confederacy. Stand Watie comes to mind. They also booted descendants of those slaves out of the tribe a few years ago. Look up Cherokee Freedmen.