Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
kingbee
Forum Full Member

upgrading GB
Monday, April 22 2019 @ 08:00 AM CDT

Well, not really 'upgrading but after many years of using GB that came with ilife 08 I got a slightly newer macbook with a newer version of GB
On the newer version a number of instrumenst ( drums. basses , strings and ALL synth textures are missing from the choice of options
I cant seem to find a decent answer on web
I am guessing that these got ditched in newer versions of GB and any songs I wrote using these instruments will have to be modified at source ( turned into an audio file) to continue to sound like they did originally
My questions is Can I drag the 'compnent' of DANCE KIT in drums OFF my old mac and drag it onto new one?
Any advice greatfully received
Cheers
DWL
Forum Full Member

Re:upgrading GB
Monday, April 22 2019 @ 12:03 PM CDT

Have you tried selecting Garageband (top left hand corner) then Sound Library and DownLoad all available sounds?

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
kingbee
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, April 23 2019 @ 09:58 AM CDT

For some reason that option isn't in the drop down menu :-/
Thanks for the suggestion Dick
DWL
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, April 23 2019 @ 11:39 AM CDT

That's odd.

I've just checked mine again and it's there.

What version of GB is it and have you checked if there's a later version?

I'm on 10.3.2 btw

mike_d
Forum Full Member

Location: , of vocation is where I seem to be most of the time

Tuesday, April 23 2019 @ 12:27 PM CDT

Not sure if any of this helps.....

I have both version 10.3.2 and 6.0.5 on my work computer. In 10.3.2 I can see the options that Dick mentioned earlier for downloading available sounds.

However, in 6.0.5 I do not see any options for downloading available sounds. I did see some options with the loop browser open. At the top of the loop browser column (right side of GB window) it says "Loops" and when clicked on, a dropdown menu opens where I can see my purchased Jam Packs, etc. If this is closer to the version you have, it might be worth looking at the options you have available there. If you still have access to the original computer, then there's got to be a way to transfer those sounds to the newer one.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke
mike_d
Forum Full Member

Location: , of vocation is where I seem to be most of the time

Tuesday, April 23 2019 @ 02:31 PM CDT

I did a little more digging on my work computer (I'm running Sierra) and found where the audio files are in case you'd like to try bringing them from the old computer to the new one.

Open the old hard drive and locate the folder "Library".
Open the folder "Audio".
In the audio folder you should see a folder labeled Apple Loops. (In there I see the Jam Packs I'd bought some time ago.)

Those files/folders are probably what needs to get copied to the new computer.

If you've purchased any add on items for GB in the past, you may also want to look in the folder labeled, "Plug-ins" as there are VST and Component files within.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke
kingbee
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, April 24 2019 @ 08:47 AM CDT

GB is '11
V6.0.5 anmd its running on El Capitsn 10.11.6
As i didnt have ilife 11 I just got a friends laptop and transfered GB from hers via a USB stick . which may be some of the problem
Its seems to be instrumenst rathr than loops missing like Techno kit in the drum instruments
I took the techno kit PST out of my old computers file for drum kits nd dragged it inot new compueters file bit it still doesnt show up
I may be completely wrong and GB 11 has none of the instrumenst I used to use. Thanks for suggestions chaps
DWL
Forum Full Member

Friday, April 26 2019 @ 02:02 AM CDT

I don't know how iLife works but have you tried going to the App Store and downloading the latest version of GB?

Fire_Angel
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 18 2019 @ 09:07 PM CDT

If you have manually copied files across from an old installation you may need to quit Garageband, then hunt through the Garageband support folders and delete any cache files you find, then restart it. After clearing those caches the next start is slightly slower but it should find all the new settings.

Ancient Chinese proverb:
The man who does not make mistakes usually does not make anything.

kingbee
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 02 2019 @ 06:21 AM CDT

dick, My OS El capitan wont support current version of GB.

I'll try to track down a disc version of ilfe 11 and try an install from there
Strangely the volumes settings on all old songs has changed so I am having to go through all songs and do a quick remix as well as re set certian drum kits as I cant use a versin of EZdrumer lite and drumcore 3 anymore as they dont exist
hey ho