Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
AllenDean
Forum Chatty

Is there a Mission Statement?
Saturday, June 08 2019 @ 01:06 PM CDT

hi, there, MacJams people who remain on this site, in a dogged, feet glued to the floor determination.....

Is there still a MacJams mission statement?
by this, I mean, I assume, as there are no new members, and the members who are here have, for lack of a better phrase, become very Facebook-esque in their support, is there still a relevance in returning to this site?
is there a chance, someone with the means, motivation, and technical ability can revamp this site to include new music, new musicians, and new modes of creativity?
is there a chance that perhaps, a wider market and means for collaboration, tutorials on equipment, mixing techniques, as well as honest, and fair representation could exist here?

see, here is what bothers me about the internet; sites where home studios which aren't in competition with major label, or major studio recordings and artists don't seem to exist. collaboration sites that interest me don't exist. I mean, its all like Fivver for players out there. Soundcloud, Reverbnation, Numberone Music, Bandcamp, etc. are just social media high schools, where one does not even remotely come to let their music do the talking....
conversely, this is also one of this sites major problems: I mean, how many people are still on this site making music? and for that matter, how many are exploring, expanding, and raising their game, musically?
MacJams is in danger of becoming the old folks' home for online music, with a handful of curmudgeons yelling at the new kids to get off their DAW....
if I'm out of line, then I apologize. I started posting new music here, once again, in January, after a year and a half off in Europe. I come back, and what do I find? people posting shit about politics, others posting topics trying to have everyone just get along? isn't this site about music? sharing, collaborating, discovering, etc.?
through this site, I have met folks from around the globe. sent vocal tracks, guitars and bass to a myriad of people I might never meet in person, in order to simply CREATE
so what is the Mission Statement?
is there still a site of which to be proud? to look forward? to post? to share with others?
or are we all relegated to getting one hit a year on Soundcloud, when some bored 15 year old accidentally clicks on your page by mistake?
now, this is not to say MJ's is not without its biases- far from it. everyone here seems to be afraid of heavy metal, and hard rock, and I accept this. I have never, ever gotten the kind of back slapping I see on other genres of music. and, that's ok. metal is an outsider's genre, and frankly, we like it that way. I am, however, concerned that im posting here in vain, to zero audience, with little to no hope of having anyone hear my music, and spread the word to others....
perhaps im venting to a crowd already tired of venting, and if so, please disregard.... but if there is still a reason to remain active on this site, someone help me too see the light......
Char
Forum Full Member

Re:Is there a Mission Statement?
Saturday, June 08 2019 @ 07:49 PM CDT

Allen, when (it seemed) everyone made time to listen and comment and even connect on chat, friendships were forged. It was very social. Collaborations, often, came about because people were talking to each other. at least, three times, I wrote lyrics while chatting with someone. Now, I'm not a real musician but I am a real person and one who loves the variety of music that can be found here. Yes, this place has been neglected and abandoned, but boy, when it was frequented by friendly people, this place was a hotbed of creativity and absolutely, it was fun. I'm not sure how to bring about a resurrection but, yes, allowing new members to join and join fairly quickly...that, would be a good start. I do wish, wholeheartedly, that people would come here, once again, with some regularity. We, each of us, can only represent ourselves. The invitations to listen, to post and to connect are still here. There is much to explore. I'll say "hello" to anyone. So, drop by, people.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. Katharine Hepburn
grah3am
Forum Regular Poster

Monday, June 10 2019 @ 12:55 PM CDT

There's ProCollabs, which is all about collaboration. I get frustrated because it's mostly people with day jobs who do not have time to contribute swiftly. Now I have a day job, so I am just as guilty.

I think the best thing MacJams could do is welcome newcomers. An obvious opportunity would have been when iCompositions folded, but it didn't happen.

"You read him his rights while I shave his legs."
Sigmund
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, June 11 2019 @ 01:07 AM CDT

I don't recall when it was exactly that MJ stopped accepting new members. I know it's been several years. I think it's amazing that MJ is still up and running, though barely it seems at times. We all knew that removing the welcome mat and closing the door to potential new members would result in MJ's decline. It's inevitable. People come and go; here, now, they just go.

We also know that new blood would revitalize this place. It's been talked about for as many years as the doors have been barred. And so many ideas have been floated out there, as to how to bring MJ back. So many members, willing to sacrifice their time, effort and resources to jumpstart this site. And the questions - about the site owner: Where is he; what happened to him; why doesn't he care; why doesn't he turn over the reigns?

Perhaps this question has been answered in one of a myriad of threads on this topic, and if it has, I apologize for being ignorant, but where IS Simon, and why, if he is no longer interested in maintaining this site - why DOESN'T he sell it- assign it - transfer it - SOMETHING, so that those who love this place and want to see new life breathed into it can perhaps have a hand in its rejuvenation. Perhaps maintenance costs aren't that high, but there is most certainly SOME costs associated with keeping this site up. Why keep paying, but leave it all but abandoned?

Forgive me for sounding a bit like a conspiracy theorist here; I just find it strange that our site owner, with all the offers of help, has done NOTHING for so many years. Tired of dealing with it? Then why not turn it over to someone else? Why not sell? Why not let someone come in - at their own expense - revamp, revitalize and refresh this place. Why do nothing?

We were ALL different people 15 years ago. If Simon lost interest or got too busy to deal with the day to day administration of MJ, he had, and still has, lots of options here. The fact that he's chosen (and still chooses, apparently) to do NOTHING, about ANYTHING, has always perplexed me - it still does.

A few years back someone here posted a link to an article he found, somewhere on the internet, about how when Simon started MJ all those years ago, that it was done in part as some great social experiment, to see how humans interacted with each other in an online community - I'm guessing back in 2004 online communities were kind of a new thing. I've always wondered if this is still just an ongoing experiment, and we are still (and have always been) being watched and studied. That would at least explain, in part, the lack of movement in any direction by the site owner.

Until someone can come up with a way to get Simon to let go, nothing here will change, unless you want to call slow and steady decline change.

Thoughts? Insights?
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, June 11 2019 @ 10:16 AM CDT

A word from our MJ owner, Simon, Jan. 2017...

Also regarding MacJams current web status:

http://macjams.com.ourssite.com
AllenDean
Forum Chatty

Thursday, June 13 2019 @ 01:57 PM CDT

“MacJams is an online studio where musicians congregate, collaborate and critique each other for the betterment of their music and skills as musicians.

Keywords:musician, collaboration, community, free, music, making, download, upload, songs, GarageBand, loops, software, iLife, JamPack, Jam Pack, Soundtrack, Live, Cubase, Peak Audio, Mac, Macintosh, Apple

Discover macjams.com website stats, rating, details and status online. Read and write reviews or vote to improve it ranking.”

Now, that site would be awesome!!
Of course, I’m just kidding, MJ was all of these things before, and i really hope it can be these things again. At an annual revenue of 7,000.00 doesn’t leave much room for improvement.
It seems odd to me that such sites of this nature don’t pop up all over. I mean, so many people record and produce their own music. So where do they go to share it with the world? I don’t really know. As I’ve said before, SoundCloud is almost a waste of time, given the fact it’s bedroom players and major touring acts all mashed together, with no proper search engine, no real genre filters and little care to the little guy. Reverbnation isn’t much better, but if you want to be a big fish in a little pond, you can be #1 in backwater TN, as long as you have no competition!!
Streaming sites seem to me like a real pain in the ass- correct me if I’m wrong- with their specifics on file type, size, volume, etc, and with no real guarantee that anyone will ever, ever hear your stuff..
Lastly, number one music, band amp, and freaking MySpace are also kind of inept...
I guess I’m just sad.
Perhaps this is a symptom of the universe.
So many able to create, so much mediocrity to wade through, and so few places to share and collaborate.
The world is smaller, yet somehow a much larger quagmire.
Now that i have a home base once again, you guys and grrls can count on me to peruse this site for new music, and continue to ask technical questions. Like, how are you all getting so much louder mixes than i am??
grah3am
Forum Regular Poster

Thursday, June 13 2019 @ 07:06 PM CDT

Quote by: AllenDean
“MacJams is an online studio where musicians congregate, collaborate and critique each other for the betterment of their music and skills as musicians.

Keywords:musician, collaboration, community, free, music, making, download, upload, songs, GarageBand, loops, software, iLife, JamPack, Jam Pack, Soundtrack, Live, Cubase, Peak Audio, Mac, Macintosh, Apple

Discover macjams.com website stats, rating, details and status online. Read and write reviews or vote to improve it ranking.”

Now, that site would be awesome!!
Of course, I’m just kidding, MJ was all of these things before, and i really hope it can be these things again. At an annual revenue of 7,000.00 doesn’t leave much room for improvement.
It seems odd to me that such sites of this nature don’t pop up all over. I mean, so many people record and produce their own music. So where do they go to share it with the world? I don’t really know. As I’ve said before, SoundCloud is almost a waste of time, given the fact it’s bedroom players and major touring acts all mashed together, with no proper search engine, no real genre filters and little care to the little guy. Reverbnation isn’t much better, but if you want to be a big fish in a little pond, you can be #1 in backwater TN, as long as you have no competition!!
Streaming sites seem to me like a real pain in the ass- correct me if I’m wrong- with their specifics on file type, size, volume, etc, and with no real guarantee that anyone will ever, ever hear your stuff..
Lastly, number one music, band amp, and freaking MySpace are also kind of inept...
I guess I’m just sad.
Perhaps this is a symptom of the universe.
So many able to create, so much mediocrity to wade through, and so few places to share and collaborate.
The world is smaller, yet somehow a much larger quagmire.
Now that i have a home base once again, you guys and grrls can count on me to peruse this site for new music, and continue to ask technical questions. Like, how are you all getting so much louder mixes than i am??

There is much help here about improving your mix loudness. M Audio has a great Limiter plug in - mix to your satisfaction, then export with the limiter whacked up to your desired level of noise. Mixbus has its own limiter (it's what I use) and combined with Mixbus compression, it's great. But the Melda plugins are also very good. And free!

"You read him his rights while I shave his legs."

charlieknight
Forum Newbie

Tuesday, June 18 2019 @ 04:09 AM CDT

Please know that new members have been admitted as recently as 5/July/2018. I know because I am one of them. I had to wait maybe 2 or 3 months.

I'm here to collaborate, experiment, learn and try to produce something good. I've not had luck with collaboration yet, but will keep trying.
I've found the community very welcoming and received a lot of instruction. All positive so far. Politics tends to come in through the music its- part of what we all are, however I try and so far have succeeded not to engage in direct political discussion, there are so many other places for that.

I love this place and am so grateful for its existence and for the people who listen, comment, encourage, make suggestions etc. I've also come across discussions about theory, techniques etc etc. and am definitely interested in participating in more of that side fo things.
Charlie