Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

I just can't help but notice it – "they're not even human!
Thursday, December 20 2018 @ 07:28 PM CST

I happen to use the duckduckgo.com search engine, and lately when I search (for example) for keys like “Mueller impeachment,” I simply cannot help but notice how many of the articles are ... obviously ... generated by computers.

For example, does the following text not remind you of ELIZA?   Would an actual English-speaker ever speak as “Ed Rollins” supposedly does?
The Senate Intelligence Committee just lately launched two experiences that element the widespread scope of the Russian marketing campaign of disinformation carried out in opposition to the U.S. throughout the 2016 election. It was disclosed that the identical guerilla techniques at the moment are getting used in opposition to the particular counsel. The Washington Publish reported, “Having labored to assist get Trump into the White Home, they now labored to neutralize the largest menace to his staying there.”
“The Washington Publish?”   Please, read on ...
Mueller and his workforce should not completed. A workforce that has been fairly efficient in increasing its mission is probably not able to wrap up the unique cost till all leads are chased down. Mix that zealousness with all of the sidebar investigations now happening – by the U.S. Lawyer’s Workplace for the Southern District of New York, the newly-elected lawyer normal of New York, and plenty of others into Trump’s household, enterprise, taxes, inauguration, and useless father’s enterprise practices – and the brand new Democratic majority within the Home that’s simply ready to assault, assault, assault – it makes one surprise why anybody would need to be president.

Nicely, many do. The Washington Examiner speculates that 45 Democrats are pondering significantly of working to be the president’s opponent in two years. They will not be selling themselves or their packages. They are going to be attacking Trump and his health for workplace.

Having been a part of two presidential administrations that have been below assault – President Richard Nixon’s throughout Watergate and President Ronald Reagan’s throughout the Iran Contra – and having watched a 3rd – President Invoice Clinton’s throughout Whitewater – I do know firsthand that when below assault, White Homes stop to operate.

Nixon was pushed from workplace and would have been impeached if he hadn’t resigned. Clinton was impeached however not convicted. And Reagan was badly broken in his second time period and barely recovered by the tip of his presidency.

President Trump has been below siege since his inauguration. It is time to get this over. Mr. Mueller, current what you may have, and let’s get on with it.

The nation elected Donald Trump understanding he was a unique type of chief and an unconventional politician. Let him lead. He is not going to give up, and it doesn’t matter what Mueller experiences, impeachment can be a silly and unsuccessful effort by the Democrats.

In two years, the nation will get to select once more. Within the meantime, let’s have a look at if we are able to make our authorities work for the folks.
Yeah, I hope you get it, too.   To any actual human being, these syntactic constructions make no non-algorithmic sense ... let alone to any actual English speaker.

And with a little bit more searching, you can probably discover the “actual English-speaker” articles from which these contrivances were originally contrived.

H-O-W-E-V-E-R ...(!!) “this Actual Human(!)” has a rather-profound problem with this.   Quite obviously, these robots have been deployed in an effort to “multiply” the supposed-findings that are similarly being reaped by other robots.   Yes, I (also) laughed at ELIZA, but then, I moved on.
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:I just can't help but notice it –
Thursday, December 20 2018 @ 08:28 PM CST

There are actors that target search terms based on volume, usually in an effort to generate ad revenue from page views. They do so by using machine learning to auto-generate page content and propagate page links in an attempt to get listed and ranked by search engines.

The practice also manifests in the form of a black hat SEO trick, an attempt to artificially inflate the traffic score for a given domain. Such pages can also be used in an attempt to spread malware by targeting trending search terms.

Search for any trending search term and, if you dig down in the list of results far enough, you will find examples of them. If they appear more prominently in a particular search engine it is because the algorithm that engine uses is not as efficient att weeding them out.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
DWL
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2018 @ 09:45 AM CST

As I understand it many of these are written by humans but in Russian (or some other language) and then translated by Google Translate or some such program.

Look up "post" in the dictionary and one definition is "publish".

It's a major issue for anyone trying to understand what is going on. East European and Russian bot farms are heavily implicated in the Brexit and Trump votes.

Software which identifies likely targets for propaganda ads was used during the Brexit and Trump campaigns. Facebook has a lot to answer for.

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2018 @ 12:34 PM CST

Thanks, Mike. We need to be vigilant. We are on the threshold of some very problematic abuses of evolving technologies. The crude language algorithms being used today will only grow more sophisticated and accurate. Worse yet, there are already fairly sophisticated pieces of software that can manipulate video images and reproduce anyone's voice to say anything one wants.

Once such tools are perfected it will become near impossible to differentiate between fake and real. That's damn scary. Wink

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2018 @ 01:38 PM CST

DWL, I think that both media and governments do not yet accept that anyone, anywhere can “speak” on the Internet, for or against any issue or candidate.   I believe that they seriously over-estimate, however, what influence such tactics actually have.   If I, as an American, felt deeply that Vladimir Putin ought to be re-elected and began talking about it on the Internet “within Russian hearing,” would they say that I am “meddling” or simply exercising freedom of speech?   If I said that I think that the EU is a stupid idea and that Britain should walk away from it immediately, am I once again “meddling” and should be blamed for the decision that was made?   In both cases I think that I have done no wrong, and I would expect officials to wear their big-boy / big-girl pants about the simple fact that someone is expressing what might be an unpopular opinion, and maybe using “SEO tactics” to do it.

Gasp ...

I wonder, also, when the Hillary camp is finally going to come to terms with the fact that she lost, fair and square.   No one told her what was actually inevitable.   She won the heavily-populated ocean and inland coastal areas, but utterly lost the heartland, and the 2018 mid-term maps were almost exactly the same sea of red.   No one from half-a-planet away did this to her – she did it quite nicely to herself, and with this multimillion-dollar taxpayer-funded “investigation” (sic) ...

bud
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2018 @ 06:09 PM CST

[QUOTE BY= MikeRobinson]
I wonder, also, when the Hillary camp is finally going to come to terms with the fact that she lost, fair and square.   No one told her what was actually inevitable.   She won the heavily-populated ocean and inland coastal areas, but utterly lost the heartland, and the 2018 mid-term maps were almost exactly the same sea of red.   No one from half-a-planet away did this to her – she did it quite nicely to herself, and with this multimillion-dollar taxpayer-funded “investigation” (sic) ...

Mike - you are sounding like a broken record. I knew that your new thread was going to come right back to this singular issue. Hillary lost - Trump won. That does not mean that there isn't a serious issue with foreign interference in the election, and as we are learning, that there were many gross irregularities happening right here at home that warrant investigation. Investigation that is paying for itself from criminal forfeiture of assets. But, I digress with the facts.

it's all too much
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2018 @ 09:06 PM CST

Oh, there were boat-loads of “irregularities” in the most-recent election, some of which directly affected me, but we obviously have disagreement as to what properly constitutes “interference” or “meddling.”

I don’t care about Internet spam-bots spewing political advertisements, and I also am not perturbed when the source of a message comes from some other country – including Russia.   It’s a World-Wide Web™ out there, and of course both opinions and influences are going to come in from all over the planet, in much the same way that “stupid cat memes” are crafted all over the globe every day.   “You are entitled to express your opinion – or, your cat – and I am entitled to ignore you.”

I think that people take “voting” extremely seriously, and are not so easily led as both political advertisers and political pundits would have you to believe.

When my voter registration “disappears,” when I regularly vote in elections and have done so for years, that is “meddling,” and it happened right here at home.   It probably prevented my vote from being counted.   I am sure that many of the same things happened in 2016.   But there is no reason to conclude that the source was half-a-planet distant when school children did successfully penetrate election machines as an exercise, and when voter registration rolls can be compromised for political advantage.

History tells us, of course, that if the election process can be compromised, it will be.   But the sources of that interference are most likely to be “nearby.”

To say that “big bad Russians™” caused the election outcome to be as it was – no.   (I knew six months before the election happened that the august lady didn’t stand a chance in hell of winning it – and that she would not choose to see.   Mind you, I did not vote for either one of these fools.)

To me it is unconscionable to spend tens of millions of dollars looking at Moscow when you should be looking in your own back yard.   (David Copperfield would be proud.)   Of course I recognize this “investigation” for what it actually is, but I would have that money be spent studying actual election fraud and remedies.
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2018 @ 09:32 PM CST

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2018 @ 10:21 PM CST

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member